What is Navalism for?

Started by Valles, May 19, 2011, 04:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valles

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I suspect that my recent near-fight with Kaiser Kirk isn't a result of me being a troll that wanted to torture everyone in the game with reams of homework, or of him being so pathologically lazy he wasn't willing to spend thirty seconds with the right google maps overlay to figure out the answers to his questions, but of a fundamental undiscussed and unaddressed disagreement regarding, well, what the game itself is about.

So, to prevent future bad blood, and hopefully to make working out more practical questions easier.

To me, the 'goal' of Navalism is to work out a new navy, from the context up - to examine, and play with, the way that that context will shape designs. If the context isn't different, if you have the same origins in essentially the same situations, then you've entirely defeated the point of the game.
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

miketr

For me a navy is about protection 'my' nations interests.

If I have distant lines of communication then I need long ranged cruisers
If I am going to play games of prestige and threaten other nations or be a factor on the international stage is about the Battleships and to a lesser extent Armored Cruisers. 
If I am going to do coast defense I can get away with torpedo boats, lots of guns and some coast defense BB's.

Etc.

So navalism is a way for me to assign national interests / needs and then try to carry that out.  Iberia was I think very consistent in what it did in terms of naval construction policy.  It was a cruiser navy to protect the nations long lines of communications.  I always wanted MORE cruisers.

Michael

Logi

For me, navalism was always about national simulation and designing. I love designing things myself, from weapon systems to ship and tank designs. National simulation here gives me what games like HoI or Victoria doesn't, real interaction between players.

I found the feeling of tackling a problem and solving it such as promoting national needs or designing something to be the main reason for me staying here. It doesn't really matter whether it's in a fictional world or on Earth (although I would really like for the rules of economics and science to apply; meaning no magical items or 100% tax and corruption-less countries).

TexanCowboy

For me, navalism is about having a relaxed enviroment where I can compare ship and aircraft designs with friends in a friendly manner, without too much work.

snip

Quote from: TexanCowboy on May 19, 2011, 06:24:36 PM
For me, navalism is about having a relaxed enviroment where I can compare ship and aircraft designs with friends in a friendly manner, without too much work.

I feel similar to tex, but add in the diplomatic interaction between nations as a big plus. As Logi said, this is something that no video game can replicate
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

For me,

Navalism- and wesworld - are primarily about developing a military suited to the strategic considerations of your nation.
Interaction, by advancing an image of your nation, and as a means of diplomacy, can support the strategic goals.
Storytelling then supports this and allows one to elaborate if one wishes.

CTwaterman's tale of Italia is a good example.  He built a military, used it to further the nations goals, and used diplomacy to provide a setting in which this was possible, and storytelling to provide the cause.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

ctwaterman

What Kirk Said....

Navalism for some people is an excuse to play with Spring Sharp.   Now dont get me wrong but some people will be shocked to learn that Spring Shapr is not my favorite program.

For me this is About Roleplaying in a semi-realistic world a world of Diplomacy and Intrigue.   I actually had to be pried out of Italia just ask Mario and Guinness how much effort that took.

UNK is bigger but for me was it "Better"

Italy started as an Idea and the Simulation was a way pushing that Idea forward.   Storylines were created Diplomacy was carried on deals in smoke filled back rooms were formed.  And all for one real goal what was best for the Empire.

Here is a great example of what made the game fun.  After the 1st Rift War and the sudden entry of the Orange Republic into the war it became blatantly obvious that the Empire needed more infrastructure in the Rift for the war to be won.  So the offer by Rocky and GC for a peace conference was accepted.   At the same time negotiations with the other trustworthy Monarchy in the region also began.

Alot of what is fun for me takes place in PM;s and sometimes never even makes the News articles because of the Secret Treaty Clauses.   Or the weeks of PM between Guinness, Blooded, and Mario and myself to form the Nassau treaty only to have blooded run off to Russia.   It was supposed to be the start of a league of nations thing that fell very very flat.  And caused alot of trouble with the formation of Alliances to resist this new giant.

So that is what this game is about for me.   I miss having P3D in the Republic of Orange he had his visions for Orange and I had mine for Italy and I am pretty sure they conflicted very badly.   And since Orange was so much bigger then Italy I had to make alliances I could hide behind.
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Jefgte

When I register in Navalism, I start Peru in 1907 with ships built since 1895
The result for Peruvian Armada was always late & small.
& no reserve of old ships to scrap to have a correct fleet.

I remark too that Allianza Treaty protect Peru & later NUS but forbiden all offensive action

Finaly, Peru was too small &  Gran NUS not ready for an offensive action

QuoteNavalism for some people is an excuse to play with Spring Sharp.   Now dont get me wrong but some people will be shocked to learn that Spring Shapr is not my favorite program...

SS is a easy to use a draw a neverwere is a pleasure.
I study & draw waships since 40 years & I am not going to stop.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Jef  ;)

"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

ctwaterman

QuoteSS is a easy to use a draw a neverwere is a pleasure.
I study & draw waships since 40 years & I am not going to stop.

Hey everyone gets what they bring to the game back out of it.  You are really good at doing the drawings and the SS.  I use SS to make Ships but they are not the real reason I play the game just one of the tools.

As long as we are both having fun then thats the real reason for the game. ;)
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Nobody

For me it is a role playing game around the "big gun age" of naval warfare.

I like playing and tinkering with the numbers in my reports to get the most out of it for future use. I like reading the occasional great story and stuff around it. I'm not such a good writer, the universal language aka math is more my thing.
I also like doing a ship in SpringSharp from time to time, but if things don't work out the way I hoped they would... let's say it gets tiering. (my current problem)