Ballistics

Started by Logi, February 22, 2011, 09:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logi

Well my program pretty much auto-generates a whole skew of constants so it should work.

You said you used the F-formula in your thread, however if didn't mention the quality constants you used for F;

QuoteNow all we need to do is to fill out the following table*:

1880 Solid shot      1890 High Explosive      1895 Semi Armour-Piercing      1905 Armour-Piercing      1908 Capped shells
1880 Cast Iron (belt)      ?      ?      ?      ?      ?
   " (deck)      ?      ?      ?      ?      ?
1890 Compound (belt)      ?      ?      ?      ?      ?
1900 Krupp Cemented (belt)      ?      ?      ?      ?      ?
1915 All Imp. KC types (belt)      ?      ?      ?      ?      ?

Feedback is appreciated.

*)powered by BBCode-Table-Creator

Nobody

Quote from: Logi on May 06, 2011, 06:56:25 AM
Well my program pretty much auto-generates a whole skew of constants so it should work.

You said you used the F-formula in your thread, however if didn't mention the quality constants you used for F;
Well, that is the constant I'm lacking.

Delta Force

Quote from: Logi on April 02, 2011, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: P3D on March 16, 2011, 09:31:08 PMStuff

I'm not quite following, but using those functions to calculate the range? As of now, my model does calculations via step-by-step model. It runs through the equations every second until the shell impacts the water. So how would those functions work for such a model?

On another note, I'm trying to writing the hydrodynamic portion, but that'll take me a bit as I have some books to read on that subject.

By hydrodynamic, do you mean you are going to calculate shots that fall short and hit the ship below the waterline?

Logi

QuoteBy hydrodynamic, do you mean you are going to calculate shots that fall short and hit the ship below the waterline?
I'm going to calculate the motion of the ship as well as underwater hits. As of now there is only the ballistics portion written with nothing on the ship or underwater shell travel.

Logi

I'm getting freakishly large numbers for armor penetration running the F-formula. Just to make sure, is the F-formula in metric or imperial?

Quote from: Nobody on May 07, 2011, 04:15:59 AM

Nobody

Quote from: Logi on May 07, 2011, 09:39:59 PM
I'm getting freakishly large numbers for armor penetration running the F-formula. Just to make sure, is the F-formula in metric or imperial?

Quote from: Nobody on May 07, 2011, 04:15:59 AM

Speed and weight are imperial (ft/s and pound), afaIk.
It's just a matter of the constant you are using though, and units shouldn't matter for diameter/penetration anyway.