Swiss Liparus

Started by Desertfox, July 28, 2010, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

Well I don't know what the "Liparus" is you are talking about, but personally if I wanted to build a submarine carrier, I would build a ship doors/bay on the bottom.
So what's the size (length, width) of a 300 ts sub? Plus several meters on each side times the draft of the ship, would be the weight to be simmed as below waterline (= fuel) to accommodate the each sub. Because of the gap(s) in the ship I would also sim it with higher hull strength.

Desertfox

My own 300 tons subs are currently 150"x15".

Tender + long range subs is better and easier but not as cool.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

maddox

Sounds like a new build merchant.  Needs to be at least 320' long then. 6Kton class at least.  And that one can take 2 in the moonpool.
Physicaly it can be build in 1920. 

It wasn't done as it would be a mil spec vessel, in our rules. (unless it's a towed thing, then it counts as a type 0 + floating dry dock)

P3D

300t is ~30m long and ~4m dia. So you'd need a ~50m long and 10m wide hole right in the keel, amidships. Would need spending a lot on strengthening the hull (the keel/bottom plating being the main structural loadbearing element). I still say a welldeck would be more practical if you want to use it in any sea state over 2.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

maddox

The keel issue can be avoided by using the Graf Zeppelin trick.  A keel higher up in the ship.

But even then, I suggest a structural "overdimensioning" of .1 at least, as well calculating in the full weight of the sloshing seawater in the hull. ( maybe in fuel?)

But that's not Maddox- the Mod talking, but Maddox, the third rank mechanic.

P3D

Quote from: maddox on July 28, 2010, 04:12:42 PM
The keel issue can be avoided by using the Graf Zeppelin trick.  A keel higher up in the ship.

But even then, I suggest a structural "overdimensioning" of .1 at least, as well calculating in the full weight of the sloshing seawater in the hull. ( maybe in fuel?)

But that's not Maddox- the Mod talking, but Maddox, the third rank mechanic.

Keel higher up the ship won't work, what'd work is to have two keels, on the sides of the "moon dock".
It also have one great disadvantage. It cannot take subs that are damaged and cannot go underwater.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

maddox

The secundary keel in the LZ127 Graf Zeppelin was  nothing more than that, a secundary keel, the other longitudal girders took the rest of the strain.

Ithekro

What about something like the Glomar Explorer?  Just without the crain feature.

Carthaginian

I'd say if it's what DF is thinking of, you'd need something on the order of the Ingals class construction ship.

http://www.navalism.org/index.php?topic=2402.msg25353#msg25353
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

ctwaterman

If you want to build a a ship with sub holding bay similar to the modern US LST you need to in effect build a small Type 0 or Type 1 Mobile Dry Dock and then build a ship around it....

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Carthaginian

Quote from: ctwaterman on July 28, 2010, 05:15:18 PM
If you want to build a a ship with sub holding bay similar to the modern US LST you need to in effect build a small Type 0 or Type 1 Mobile Dry Dock and then build a ship around it....

Charles

Not quite, but almost, the premise of the Ingals.
She was designed as a semi-seaworthy Crane Ship #1- previously known as 'The Ship That Shall Not Be Named.'
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

TexanCowboy

Eh, are you talking about the ship that sank the glourious Alabama?  :'(

The Rock Doctor

Probably cheaper just to build larger submarines.

Desertfox

I'll just build one for the SSS, with capacity for a couple 300t subs. Question is, if not ordered from military yards could it be build at least to tender rules? It's not even going to go in the Swiss Military.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

The Rock Doctor

It's the purpose that matters, not the owner.  Work up a design and let's discuss.