1059 Class

Started by damocles, June 21, 2010, 12:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefgte

I agree with Mike about the thickness of the belt.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

ctwaterman

Wow... over all an impressive ship I agree that Belt Armour is light.

The Anti Aircraft Defenses of this Ship Rival that of most WWII Battle Ships ???
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Sachmle

Quote from: ctwaterman on June 21, 2010, 04:17:32 PM
Wow... over all an impressive ship I agree that Belt Armour is light.

The Anti Aircraft Defenses of this Ship Rival that of most WWII Battle Ships ???

Well I think the Dutch have the 1915 Imp. KC (+10%) tech, so it's really an 11" belt, and then if it's inclined as the one on de Ruyter (10*) then it's a 12" belt.

At to AA defenses? What AA defenses? I see 2 sizes of QF guns and some heavy MGs. I suppose the 15mm could be AA.

However I think you may want to readjust your misc weight as you only allocated 150t to FC which requires 250t for ships with Turret/Barbette MB. You did however allocate 150t to torpedoes, which even at the 3t weight of the 1918 tech w/ 8 torps*4 reloads = 96t. So there's 54t you can put towards your FC shortage, leaving you 46t short.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

miketr

Quote from: damocles on June 21, 2010, 04:06:03 PM
Quote from: miketr on June 21, 2010, 03:25:03 PM
While I agree its like Korpen's Frigate designs I never liked the thinness of the armor.  In particular the turrets and barbettes.  A good AP round form a 12"L50 could defeat that armor at up to 20K yards.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_12-50_mk7.htm

When you combine this with use of Quads the ship is at extreme risk of having its firepower knocked out in fight.

Over all I think its a step backwards from the De Ruyter Class.

Michael

1. The torpedo defense is vastly improved. What was the naval lesson of the the Siam War that the KM learned I asked?  Torpedoes sink ships not guns-especially my ships.

2. What is the mission of the ship? I have a mission in mind. It is not to slug it out with enemy battleships. I can't do that. These are frigates, not linenschips. Plus I don't have that many slips for 240 meter ships  

3. That is against Class C plate at 0 degrees fired in proof using superheavyweight shell. Do you see many Nverse navies running around with APCBC shells yet?  

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_135-45_mk5.htm

Yes Pacific has lots of TB, DD, Sub and mines.  I would rate torpedo threat as the biggest especially with the New Swiss to worry about.

Just as a point of order the penetration data wasn't a superheavy shell.  That would be the Mark 8

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_12-50_mk8.htm

That could defeat 10" out to 25K yards.

I would at least increase the turret armor and barbette

As a BC I agree that your mission shouldn't be to try to slug it out with enemy battle line.  Your problem is you have no battle line of your own.  As a result if the other side is able to ignore any fancy foot work you might try and try to pin you by going after land targets they can give you one of two choices.

1) Accept Battle and put your thin armor into gunnery range.

2) Give up the target.

One thought I do have is push your night fighting tech up as heavy as possible and go for night time battles.  Go for point blank range night time actions, neither sides armor matters much and throw weight is key.  Just expect lots of short nasty fights of the type fought around Guadalcanal in 1942.

Michael

Desertfox

The Swiss have no battleline... They do however have (or will have) 27 knot fast battleships with more armor and 16 in guns...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

damocles