Discussion of the Landmacht.

Started by damocles, June 10, 2010, 05:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

He he, my beef isn't with the use of semi-autos. It's with the Dutch using them and THEN claiming they are going simple and not complex and fancy like the Swiss.

Unlike your cheap knockoff copy crap, Foxy (Mondragons? seriously?) ,  my selected Browning weapons worked in all weathers under all conditions-especially the Browning automatic shotgun IN WAR.
Hating on Mexican stuff now, are we? *targets a few more SLBMs on Amsterdam*

The Mondragon was a good (for the time period) semi-auto. It was also the first reliable one put into service anywhere. Of course it doesn't compare to bolt-actions, but then again its not supposed too. And the Swiss rifles are actual Mondragons, not cheap knockoff copies. Oh and the Mexican Mendoza 34 LMG was superior to the BAR.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Walter

As I see it, we're comparing a Light Machine Gun to an Automatic Rifle... not to mention comparing a 1934 weapon to a 1917 weapon. :)

Guinness

Quote from: Walter on June 14, 2010, 02:09:25 PM
QuoteThe Mughals: dunno. Almost certainly something indigenous.
I can see them with smoothbore muskets riding on the backs of Camels. ;D

The entire Mughal Army is 5/3, so I think they've upgraded since those days.

damocles

I think Korpen got that wrong. They tended to use Mannlichter (Austrian) model 1896 and 1898 bolt action rifles and carbines in 6.5 mm and that is with what I'm sticking, only in the 7.92 x57 Mauser cartridge, since that is my standard ammo now.  

By that reasoning, we can assume that they are doing a limited conversion over to some Browning-derived equipment now.  

I don't know what joke machine gun I'll pick that caused them to go for the Browning, but it could be their version of the  Chaut Chaut.    

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This also ties in with the storyline about how backward their infantry weapons are comp0ared to some nations they see.  

damocles

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Caliber    8x50R Mannlicher and others
Weight    20 kg (gun body) + 3 kg (water) + 20 kg (tripod)
Length    1067 mm
Barrel length    527 mm
Feed     belt
Rate of fire    400 rounds per minute

Well that is the prior machine gun.

Actually, like most Austrian weapons of the period that the Dutch actually used it seems decent, simple, robust , if not exactly what I would want in a machine gun. (That lubricated feed is a definite no no.)

Borys

Ahoj!
It was really a dog to find, but the lubrication of the Schwarzlose 1912 was unique. The oil pump - later to make an appearance in Italian and Japanese  weapons - was  replaced by a wad. So some less complication this way ...
I hope that the N-Verse Habsburg version - in 6,5x52/54 rimless - does no need the wad anyway.
I can't find data on the Swedish weapons - did their 6,5mm weapons use the wad or not. However, the Swedish 6,5 is a more powerful round than the Mannlicher or Carcano.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

damocles

Quote from: Borys on June 14, 2010, 09:53:03 PM
Ahoj!
It was really a dog to find, but the lubrication of the Schwarzlose 1912 was unique. The oil pump - later to make an appearance in Italian and Japanese  weapons - was  replaced by a wad. So some less complication this way ...
I hope that the N-Verse Habsburg version - in 6,5x52/54 rimless - does no need the wad anyway.
I can't find data on the Swedish weapons - did their 6,5mm weapons use the wad or not. However, the Swedish 6,5 is a more powerful round than the Mannlicher or Carcano.
Borys

You got me. I really don't know. I don't think the Czech gun (Model 1920) in 7.92 x 57mm Mauser (the one pictured) dispensed with the swab.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/utv_ksp58/ksp14/schwarzlose.htm

seems to suggest that the Swedish mgs retained their oil feed.

D.

Borys

Ahoj!
I'll chip in on the shotguns. It was me who wrote that  treaty, after all :)
I took that line about explosive/expanding bullets from actual accords.
BTW - still in force today, which might be a reason why all those sniper rifles with calibres over 0.5/12,7mm and firing shells are called "anti-equipment" weapons.
I never intended a ban on combat shotguns. Of course, starting from solid slug and going down towards birdshot, we reach the fine line where the pellets will no longer kill a human, but only maim.
Have fun, guys!
:)

Quote from: damocles on June 15, 2010, 05:12:02 AM
You got me. I really don't know. I don't think the Czech gun (Model 1920) in 7.92 x 57mm Mauser (the one pictured) dispensed with the swab.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/utv_ksp58/ksp14/schwarzlose.htm

seems to suggest that the Swedish mgs retained their oil feed.

Quite strong suggestion:
Quote1912 some changes were made to the feed system and this change was called M1907/12. It had a straight top receiver and a simplified oil pad system instead of the pump mechanism.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!