Windows 7
Quad-core 64bit Athlon 620 2.6Gh processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 5770 CROSSFIRE graphics cards

I'm now ready to game for 4-5 more years. ;D
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Desertfox

Killer RAM, but 2.6 Athlon processor?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Marek Gutkowski

My current state of the art computer is a

Windows 98SE
Celeron 500MHz
192 MB RAM
Nvidia Riva TNT2

Eleven years and running.

I say state of the art as my two new(er) computers are currently collecting dust.

Also Desertfox I bet good money that my jurastic computer will still be running in eleven years

Edit:
since when dose processors are distinguished by Bites not hertz.
Did I miss something.

Edit duos:   
No I'm not being funny with that last one. Do processors cash memory is being advertised as on of there main performance.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

Carthaginian

Quote from: Marek Gutkowski on May 04, 2010, 06:14:03 PM
My current state of the art computer is a

Windows 98SE
Celeron 500MHz
192 MB RAM
Nvidia Riva TNT2

Eleven years and running.

I say state of the art as my two new(er) computers are currently collecting dust.

Also Desertfox I bet good money that my jurastic computer will still be running in eleven years

Edit:
Did I miss something.

Edit duos:  
No I'm not being funny with that last one. Do processors cash memory is being advertised as on of there main performance.

SOrry... I now have one of those fancy curved keyboards.
The 'throw' on my keystrookes are now off... I meant to hit the H, but got the B instead.

I leftthis whole post like I typed it KOOKING AT THE KEYBOARD to show how much I have to get used to on the new comp. ;)

My last comp had an older Athlon 2.6-ish CPU (single core) and was working on being 8 years old. It went through two girlfriends and a wife before the wife wanted a game it couldn't run.

Logi

QuoteEdit:
Did I miss something.

There are 32bit and 64bit processors. Being the number of lines of code it can read at one moment. For example, my processor can run both 32-bit and 64-bit programs.

My computer has been running 6? years.
Windows XP Pro
AMD Athalon64 3800+ 2.41 GHz
1.75GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 6150

And I do some high-level gaming, though it seems the CPU is starting to bottleneck.

QuoteKiller RAM, but 2.6 Athlon processor?
Multicore processors tend to have lower clockspeeds. His is a quad core thus it's lower speed but higher theoretical speed (theoretically 10.4 GHz). The bad thing is, there's not a program out there that uses the capabilities of a quad core.

I'm afraid it's going to be four-five years before your CPU's true potential can be unlocked 8)

But seriously speaking, 8GB RAM? That's way more than anything conceivable needs. :P

Carthaginian

Logi...
That's what everyone said 6 years ago when I built this monster:
Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 64-bit processor (I THINK it was the 3200)
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9800 graphics card

Six years later, it is pretty much a low-end system... especially as it goes for a hard-core gamer.
I was still able to run 95% of the stuff I wanted to with the graphics set correctly, though. That is, of course, precisely why it was so overbuilt when I got it; I wanted something that tech would have to catch up with rather than something I would have to upgrade to keep up with tech.

I treated this box the same way- I built it to handle the applications that I think I will be running 3-4 years hence rather than what I want now. It just saves you money in the long run to do that.

Logi

Yes but there is a difference. That is of course, the difference of added cores.

Added cores require specific programming for their usage, thus the slow reduce of acceptance.

For example the change from 32bit to 64bit has taken quite a long while. Etc. etc.

That is the fundamental difference between higher clockspeed and more cores. High processing rates can be used readily, additional cores require programming for additional cores by programmers. Something that won't occur for a good few years and even then the stream of such programs will be small.

But then again, I buy different then you do apparently. I wait till that new technology gathers some age (hence price drop) before buying it. I buy stuff behind tech so I can get cheaper prices AND still run things for another 6 years :P

TexanCowboy

You can always pull a Borys....using computers that are very cheap, but that have had no programing for the past 10,000 years...  :P

ctwaterman

Abacus need more Abacus'

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

P3D

Borys is running Netscape 2.0 under under Win 3.1.  :P
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Sachmle

I thought he was on a Apple IIe.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Desertfox

You're telling me he isn't using punch cards anymore?  :P

I'm running Windows 7 on
Intel i5 2.67Ghz
6 GB RAM
750 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 4350
20" monitor, Wooooo!!! (ok so I suffered through a 14" laptop for 3 years)

"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

maddox

Asrock Ion netbook
Intel Atom 330 (1.6 GHz)
2 GB RAM

320 GB HD
On board Nvidea designed graphic card
On board 7.1 sound system
22" Acer monitor

Kaiser Kirk

I went the same route as Carthaginian, bought a bit in front of my needs, with the idea it will be servicable for 4-5 years, and I'll replace in 6-7 overall.

My last one went 7 years with some additional RAM and a new video card. I think this current one will do for the foreseeable future.
i7 2.67ghz, 3mb ram, some Nvidia card.
Most annoying thing is the tower description didn't mention the @$# glowing blue lights, I was trying to avoid that when I was ordering.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Carthaginian

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on May 06, 2010, 12:16:42 AM
Most annoying thing is the tower description didn't mention the @$# glowing blue lights, I was trying to avoid that when I was ordering.

Neither did mine...
They were easily unplugged, though. ;)