Cruisers of Navalism

Started by P3D, April 09, 2010, 05:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

More or less done. As a note, the sunk New Swiss ships are included. Gen. Kassar is not, 25kts is not fast for a ship laid down 1918.
Now, I also categorized these ships.

Light Fast Battleships, 8 vessels. These have 12" guns, and battleship level armor (12" belt), usually capable 24-26kts. These ships should have no problem join the battleline of the respective fleets, but most probably they are better used in a scouting role.
Fast Battleships, 15 vessels. The no-compromise solution comes with a hefty pricetag. Akagi must be noted for its extreme speed, but others can be used to hunt cruisers as well.
Battlecruisers, Small and Large (over 22000t), 14 and 10, respectively.  Battleship-caliber guns, but armored against intermediate guns (9-11)". Surprisingly, ships in this category are not that fast (none faster than 27kts), which might be attributed to the age of these ships, only three ships of a single class were laid down post-1915. This severely limits their utility against faster cruisers, and makes them vulnerable to the fast battleships of the previous categories. One might assume that navies around the world found this type of ship obsolescent - but not yet obsolete.

Armored Cruisers, 7 slow and 27 fast (28-32kts) vessels. Either six 12" guns or 8-10x9-11"  to increase hit chance. The guns are to fight their kind and everything smaller, so they are perfect counter to the light armored and small cruisers if they have the speed to catch them. Ships of this category usually have balanced protection, except seven which are armored only against 6".

Light Armored Cruisers, 8-11000t, 35 total. The roughly 'treaty heavy cruiser equivalent' of Navalism, these ships are built to oppose 6" cruisers and destroyers, and have to rely on torpedoes against heavier ships - they are not faster than the other ships treated here. The usage of these ships is almost limited to Rohan, New Switzerland and Austria. New Switzerland relied heavily on these ships in previous wars with heavy losses.

It should be noted that there is still a considerable number of slower ships, mostly older armored cruisers (and some newer ones built on budget) that lack the speed to be considered here.

So 23 fast battleships, 24 battlecruisers, 34 armored cruisers, and 35 light armored cruisers.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Sachmle

Ersatz Blucher was never laid down and I think the ESC Gen Kassar has more than 2 guns. Other than that I don't see any obvious omissions.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Carthaginian

Enterprise (soon to be re-named) only mounts 13.5" guns.
Excellent chart!
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Logi

The Huang Hun class comprises of two ships: Huang Hun and Li Ming.

However, in your chart, the number of ships of the class indicated is 1 rather than 2.

maddox

Montmedie has a sister, Mont Bruyere.

P3D

Updated, analysis also appears in the first post.

Light Fast Battleships, 8 vessels. These have 12" guns, and battleship level armor (12" belt), usually capable 24-26kts. These ships should have no problem join the battleline of the respective fleets, but most probably they are better used in a scouting role.
Fast Battleships, 15 vessels. The no-compromise solution comes with a hefty pricetag. Akagi must be noted for its extreme speed, but others can be used to hunt cruisers as well.
Battlecruisers, Small and Large (over 22000t), 14 and 10, respectively.  Battleship-caliber guns, but armored against intermediate guns (9-11)". Surprisingly, ships in this category are not that fast (none faster than 27kts), which might be attributed to the age of these ships, only three ships of a single class were laid down post-1915. This severely limits their utility against faster cruisers, and makes them vulnerable to the fast battleships of the previous categories. One might assume that navies around the world found this type of ship obsolescent - but not yet obsolete.

Armored Cruisers, 7 slow and 27 fast (28-32kts) vessels. Either six 12" guns or 8-10x9-11"  to increase hit chance. The guns are to fight their kind and everything smaller, so they are perfect counter to the light armored and small cruisers if they have the speed to catch them. Ships of this category usually have balanced protection, except seven which are armored only against 6".

Light Armored Cruisers, 8-11000t, 35 total. The roughly 'treaty heavy cruiser equivalent' of Navalism, these ships are built to oppose 6" cruisers and destroyers, and have to rely on torpedoes against heavier ships - they are not faster than the other ships treated here. The usage of these ships is almost limited to Rohan, New Switzerland and Austria. New Switzerland relied heavily on these ships in previous wars with heavy losses.

It should be noted that there is still a considerable number of slower ships, mostly older armored cruisers (and some newer ones built on budget) that lack the speed to be considered here.

So 23 fast battleships, 24 battlecruisers, 34 armored cruisers, and 35 light armored cruisers.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Valles

QuoteIt should be noted that there is still a considerable number of slower ships, mostly older armored cruisers (and some newer ones built on budget) that lack the speed to be considered here.

*waves hello*
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Sachmle

Quote from: Valles on April 11, 2010, 08:02:40 AM
QuoteIt should be noted that there is still a considerable number of slower ships, mostly older armored cruisers (and some newer ones built on budget) that lack the speed to be considered here.

*waves hello*

ROFLMAO! :D :D :D :D :D
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

P3D

Interesting, about half of the new armored cruisers (13 out of 27) are "heavy". I.e. 11-12" guns and adequate armor, apparently built to counter the smaller ships of the kind. In spite of that 9-10" gunned ships are still being laid down.

TexanCowboy

Hmm...*Romanian Naval Analysis mode on*

So, from the data that's been presented, it appears that we've reached that point in time where the speed of the battlewagons is starting to jack upwards, which will be obsoleting the battlecruisers. For now, the speed has not increased that much, as many nations are content with 23-24 knot ships, but as ships like the Ocean's, with 26 knot speed, appear, the battlecruiser will be obsoleted.

It seems that the future belongs to, as historically, the Fast BB's like the Montmedie's, even if the 13'' plate is a little light. Mainly, however, the marked difference from OLT is the Light Armoured Cruisers. In real life, those never formed, because of the lack of need, as main fleets were designed based around the concept of the Grand Fleet, such as the British and German fleets. When light cruisers got to the point where they could expand to that size, the WT just cut them off dead. Here, they formed with the battlecruisers, because of the need of cruiser hunters, and the more Pacific-based fleets that didn't have battlelines. *cough*Swiss*cough* The most extreme incident of this is the Lena's, with 3'' belts, not enough to stop a 6'' shell, but cheap. The Interceptor's are up there too. The other end of the spectrum is the Viligentza, or equivlent.

*Romanian Naval Analysis mode off*

Oh, yes, you forgot the Ukrainian Grand Cruiser, 23,000 tons, 9x12'' guns, Nelson Style, 6'' belt, 30 knots.

P3D

Sigh...

Now it makes everything more complicated as it is a new fast battlecruiser. Shame on you Blooded, why could not you make my job simple!  >:(  :P
BTw 3" is pretty much immune to 6" at distance.

TexanCowboy

Hmm...I believe it was 3'' is immune to 5'' at range...ach vell.

Still, the Nelson style will come back to haunt you, I say! 6x6'' in the rear is not enough to hold off a S II barrelling in on the stern.

miketr

Hmm...  I should work on a like chart for light cruisers.

Desertfox

It might be a good idea to split that table up into 3 sections. Otherwise you are comparing the 6k ton Advantage to the 40k ton Montmedie.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html