Royalty/Presidents/Leaders/Etc.

Started by Sachmle, March 21, 2010, 10:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithekro

They could be speaking Westron for all we know.

Valles

Quote from: Ithekro on March 21, 2010, 06:23:08 PM
The "Devil Queen" :o
Someone's getting "befriended".

Pin-pon! That's the plan!

And yes, Norman is among Yuuno's collection of 'secondary' languages, along with Westron, Spanish, French, and probably Japanese.

Or, in other words, he can speak the languages of his enemies without a hitch, and communicate with most nations bordering the Pacific. Whether any of these tongues line up particularly with their real-world counterparts is outside my interest or purview.
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Desertfox

QuoteI think the Zionist leader is Queen Askala Maryam.
That is correct. Only the King and his immediate family (descendants) where prohibited from taking the throne. His mother (daughter of Menelik II and OTL Empress of Ethiopia) was not and currently holds the government's reigns. Note that the other countries where there just to observe... (not interfere).

As for the Swiss, I have not yet decided on who will be the president/chancellor yet.

Swiss is mainly Norman (English) with a mix of German, Spanish, Japanese, and French thrown in, oh and Chinese cus words...  ;D   
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

miketr

King of the Greeks =Alfonsos I, Carlos de Bourbon, Duke of San Jaime (emperors uncle)

Sachmle

Quote from: Desertfox on March 21, 2010, 07:23:04 PM
QuoteI think the Zionist leader is Queen Askala Maryam.
That is correct. Only the King and his immediate family (descendants) where prohibited from taking the throne. His mother (daughter of Menelik II and OTL Empress of Ethiopia) was not and currently holds the government's reigns. Note that the other countries where there just to observe... (not interfere)

Your mother isn't in your immediate family? Really? Huh. Every job I've ever had gives you leave for family emergencies and funeral of immediate family and they've all included mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, and grandparents. Weird.

Yes "Observe" the selection(I.e. the consul of elders (Which all needed replaced anyway)choose a leader) or election (the general population votes). No one selected or elected anyone. She just 'claimed' the throne.

Quote3.  A neutral commission shall oversee selection of a new New Zion Government. The commission shall be comprised of three nations; one shall be appointed by Orange, one shall be appointed by Italia. These two appointees shall in turn agree upon a third nation to chair the commission.

4.  Upon appointment or election of a new government, New Zion shall become party to international agreements regarding conduct of war and maritime law.

5.  Upon appointment or election of a new government, New Zion shall declare itself to be constitutionally neutral, and shall enshrine such policy in a national constitution.  New Zion shall not enter into military alliance or other cooperative military agreements, nor sell or lease lands, equipment or materials to third parties, nor allow basing of third party military forces within its borders. 

They've also not done any of the highlighted items in the rest of the treaty to my knowledge either.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

ctwaterman

They've also not done any of the highlighted items in the rest of the treaty to my knowledge either.

Which is why my Polite Letter which Ledeper posted has informed the relevant parties that the Empire considers the treaty pretty much null and void.  New Zion is completely non compliant in all aspects of the treaty so the Empire really doesnt see a need for Japan, CSA, and the ESC to bother with them any longer.  ;)
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Desertfox

Quote1. The King of New Zion abdicates and his line permanently renounces the throne of New Zion.  Members of the Council of Elders appointed prior to 1 January 1914 shall resign, and not seek or accept re-appointment to the Council or other senior government bodies.
His line renounces the throne, that is his descendants, not his parents.

QuoteThey've also not done any of the highlighted items in the rest of the treaty to my knowledge either.
As I told, ctw before, all those items would have been done. I left New Zion about that time so I didn't actually go ahead and do it formally, but it would have been done, no reason not to do so.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

ctwaterman

Quote from: Desertfox on March 21, 2010, 09:50:42 PM
Quote1. The King of New Zion abdicates and his line permanently renounces the throne of New Zion.  Members of the Council of Elders appointed prior to 1 January 1914 shall resign, and not seek or accept re-appointment to the Council or other senior government bodies.
His line renounces the throne, that is his descendants, not his parents.

QuoteThey've also not done any of the highlighted items in the rest of the treaty to my knowledge either.
As I told, ctw before, all those items would have been done. I left New Zion about that time so I didn't actually go ahead and do it formally, but it would have been done, no reason not to do so.

A Line has a begining and an End....  So yes it does include the Kings Parents but it doesnt much matter it is all a matter of opinion and conjecture.   
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Ithekro

She could have been elected as a Constitutional leader of some sort.  Since her Line cannot be Monarchs anymore, she'd only have a honorary title of Queen since she was one, but she would therefore not be a royal leader of the place.  her children cannot succeed her without being elected since it is not via line of succession anymore...the dynasty has been cut.  Though that the Jews would be willing to have a monarch at all at this point seems odd to me.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Sachmle on March 21, 2010, 06:37:49 PM
For that matter is there German as we know it. By our own Nverse history the French expelled the Preußens after the 2nd Franco-Prussian War, which would have been BEFORE the unification of Germany. So it would have been the North German Confederation including Prussia losing to France, not "Germany". This would leave it open for many different dialects of the "Germanic" language to become quite common in Europe as well as the South Pacific and Eastern Africa, also South America (Parana pre sale and all).

Ok, that doesn't match my understanding. I thought the 2nd Franco-Prussian was after unification, and that's one reason why the DKB feels the various Bavarian states owe him fealty.
I never did go back and finalize my bavarian history, but Maddox's world history seems to show we were linked :
Unfortunatly, this inconclusive end of the first Franco-German war did spawn a second Germanic-French war.
The second Franco-German war ended in disaster for Prussia - its political elite exiled to its far off colonies in the Pacific, its western territories annexed by France, even its gains from the war with the Habsburgs were lost, the price paid to keep that empire from actively taking sides with France. German nationalism was dead, with the largest state outside Prussia - Bavaria - reduced to little more than French puppet.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Borys

German speakers of Bavaria and Austrians speak the same language.
I once suggested that with the destruction of Prussia-Brandenburg the Grossdeutshland idea was discredited. Instead, there was a North German/Hanseatic movement, leading to the respectability and revival of Lower German. Hence the educated classes of the North of Germany which make part of the ESC are using something like Dutch. 
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Nobody

Quote from: Borys on March 22, 2010, 12:32:18 AM
German speakers of Bavaria and Austrians speak the same language.
OTL today, more or less yes. But should they speak their local dialects which would be the norm without nation-wide radio broadcasts (hardly starting before 1930) I wouldn't be so sure.
I'm not from that area, but if someone decides to speak Bavarian instead of "high-German" I'm in serious trouble understanding him.

maddox

OOC

I find the difference between Bavarian and Prussian accented Germanic wonderfull.  The Bavarians speak it softer, with a tad more "hops". The Prussians have a more disciplined use of language, more clipped as it were.

Sachmle

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on March 22, 2010, 12:11:08 AM
Quote from: Sachmle on March 21, 2010, 06:37:49 PM
For that matter is there German as we know it. By our own Nverse history the French expelled the Preußens after the 2nd Franco-Prussian War, which would have been BEFORE the unification of Germany. So it would have been the North German Confederation including Prussia losing to France, not "Germany". This would leave it open for many different dialects of the "Germanic" language to become quite common in Europe as well as the South Pacific and Eastern Africa, also South America (Parana pre sale and all).

Ok, that doesn't match my understanding. I thought the 2nd Franco-Prussian was after unification, and that's one reason why the DKB feels the various Bavarian states owe him fealty.

I know, confusing ain't it. According to OTL history Germany wasn't unified until AFTER a successful 2nd Franco-Preußen war. Here, that war was lost. Also as to why DKB, which really should just be Neu Prussia, is 'upset' with Bavaria is because the Southern German Confederation didn't help in the war which is 'why' they lost. See, it's Bavaria's fault the French won. ;)
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Kaiser Kirk

Original time line, I'm only aware of the 1870-1871 Franco Prussian war.  After which "Mad" King Lugwig II of Bavaria, ostensibly after receiving monies from the Prussians for his castle-building projects, endorsed in the Kaiserbrief making Wilhelm the Kaiser and the German Empire came to be.

The 2nd Franco-Prussian appears to have been around  1878, based on the ESC timeline which refers in 1879 to the Kaiser just having been sent packing.
http://www.navalism.org/index.php?topic=117.0

But if Bavaria was leader of the Southern German confederation and didn't help the Prussians, why was it reduced to a French Puppet?

I started to try to figure this out once, but seem to have dropped the ball and not finished... but this is the thread I started way back : http://www.navalism.org/index.php?topic=3316.0
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest