Happy Zombie Jesus/Egg laying Rabbit Day!!!!

Started by Sachmle, April 04, 2010, 09:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sachmle

Hope all have a wonderful day, whether you celebrate Easter or not. Oh, and TC, enjoy Massie.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

maddox

Thanks Sam. 

Yummie, Irish Coffee, everything a man needs. Sugar, caffeïne, fat and alcohol.
Made with love and served with a smile. (by mum in law)

Sachmle

"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

TexanCowboy

BWAHAHA!!!!

That book is making me redefine Romanian Navy Strategy....

Sachmle

Quote from: TexanCowboy on April 04, 2010, 10:24:16 AM
BWAHAHA!!!!

That book is making me redefine Romanian Navy Strategy....

Then you should also read Mahan.
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

TexanCowboy

It's actually in a different way then that. The Dreadnought book has a whole chapter on Black Sea Warfare (odd, since it's mostly political)

Sachmle

Ahh..well if I was in the Black Sea, I'd go in a Foxian/Jeune Ecole/Asymmetrical style. Subs, lots of small TBs, some larger DDs as leaders, a few CLs for anti-DD work and maybe an AC or small BC style ship for a flag. Probably 1 old PDN for a CDS. Lots of coastal guns and MINES...lots of MINES.
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

TexanCowboy

Hmm...The book kind of lead me to believe in the Small-TB/Torpedo Cruiser method.

Sachmle

Quote from: TexanCowboy on April 04, 2010, 11:21:55 AM
Hmm...The book kind of lead me to believe in the Small-TB/Torpedo Cruiser method.

IMHO Torpedo Cruiser is bad idea. Size of CL, firepower of large Destroyer, to many exposed torpedoes on deck. Not fast enough to close in and launch without getting pounded, nor fast enough to run after. Not enough firepower to drive off other CLs, leaving it vulnerable to CL(gunfire), DD(torpedoes), and larger ships(under armored) and only capable of sinking Destroyers(Gunfire), CLs(Torpedo) and harassing larger ships(Torpedoes) before being smashed to nothing.

It's an "All you eggs in one basket" approach to a torpedo attack. Rather have many TBs, few DDs, and some real CLs to drive off the other guys DDs and occupy the CLs so that your DDs/TBs can close to launch. Plus TB/DDs are expendable, 4000t CLs are not.
Otto von Bismarck

Kaiser Wilhelm

TexanCowboy

...DD's aren't expendable for me either. Heck, MTB's aren't....

Ithekro

Old fashion torpedo cruiser...before the advent of the torpedo tube.  A cruiser that have torpedos on board that could be lowered into the water for launch.  Done pretty much at station keeping if I understand correctly, or at slow speeds.

These were the kinds of ships that first used torpedoes in the 1870-80s.  Including I believe the first combat use of a torpedo against a Chillean warship by the British....historically anyway,