*Possibly* New GC ship for 1919

Started by The Rock Doctor, February 26, 2010, 04:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

We might need a list of different possible airship classes for each tech level.

maddox

As airship entousiast, I have to say, you're right.
if a nation/firm can build an Hindenburg, it's perfectly capable to build a much better blimp than a country/firm that is chipping flint.

But, Mod hat on.

It's Navalism, Not Crimson Skies.

The Rock Doctor

Regarding freeboard, I went with our carrier guidelines as best I could; the midships freeboard represents an average of the blimp shed floor and the upper hanger floor. 

On blimps - my "Type 0" blimps are the size of the British SSZ series from WW1.  They are somewhat smaller than 10,000 cubic metres.

The Rock Doctor

QuoteIm broken about the is this a 1918 Tech Carrier built earlier simply waiting for transformation to a full carrier after 1920 or just a really really good design for a combination float plane/blimp carrier.

Here's a thought:  the tall, lightweight shed area - the centre half of the upper flight area - isn't sturdy enough to support aircraft. 

I'll expend a couple hundred tonnes of the miscellaneous weight to reinforce the forward third so that it can be used as part of the upper flying-off deck.  The sides, over top of the aircraft hangers, are strong enough that their roofs can be used as taxi-ways from the lifts aft to the flying-off deck.

The aft two-thirds of the airship shed, however, would only be strong enough to support peope and blimps.  Attempting to have planes there would risk deforming or breaking through the roof of the shed.

ctwaterman

Hey you have my support for the Project the Italia Enginering firm will provide full support in generating the Blue Prints ;)  ;D
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

ctwaterman

Oh and can we sticky those Carrier Discusions in a easy found location they are going to become important for some people in a few years of game time.

I myself am looking at the Scout Plane Catapults to put on my scout cruisers because I cant afford to build 35K ton Battle Cruisers for the same roll.
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Nobody

I don't want to be picky, but blimps might actually not exist in nverse. Why? Because the technology is labeled "Dirigible Airships" which is pretty much the opposite of a blimp.

P3D

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on February 27, 2010, 07:42:18 AM
QuoteIm broken about the is this a 1918 Tech Carrier built earlier simply waiting for transformation to a full carrier after 1920 or just a really really good design for a combination float plane/blimp carrier.

Here's a thought:  the tall, lightweight shed area - the centre half of the upper flight area - isn't sturdy enough to support aircraft. 

I'll expend a couple hundred tonnes of the miscellaneous weight to reinforce the forward third so that it can be used as part of the upper flying-off deck.  The sides, over top of the aircraft hangers, are strong enough that their roofs can be used as taxi-ways from the lifts aft to the flying-off deck.

The aft two-thirds of the airship shed, however, would only be strong enough to support peope and blimps.  Attempting to have planes there would risk deforming or breaking through the roof of the shed.

Unreinforced hangar top is unfeasible engineering-wise. You definitely need a strength deck somewhere high as there's nothing across all the beam for another 10m.
As of 1919, just put a wooden deck over an old cruiser's turrets.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

The Rock Doctor

Buzzkills. 

Alright, she's shelved for the time being.  Now I have to fill a 5.5 BP gap for 1/19...perhaps Tex's impending fleet review will point me in the right direction.

TexanCowboy

More minesweepers is my main one...probebly destroyers, because one can never have too many destroyers. Also, you can take it to 2/1919....(I think the Swiss have got me..) Honestly, the one flaw I have found is the lack of regular minelayers, and submarines could be improved, I think...special operations subs..miniture subs....Biber.  ;D

The Rock Doctor

Minesweepers are on the to-do list next year, once I've finished the patrol cutter-building binge.

I'm already planning six torpedo-boats and two submarines in 1/19, and there's no extra cash for more.  Also not sure I have a lot of free slipways.  Most likely, I'll get an early start on additional cruisers or sloops, or maybe I'll take a hard look at enhancing my shore batteries.

TexanCowboy

I don't cover that, but you can always build a Type 4 slip for the new armoured cruisers...

The Rock Doctor

I've budgeted for expanding Cartagena to the necessary Type 4 port starting in 1/19.  Unfortunately, that means no Type 4-sized ships until 1921.

TexanCowboy

I think the CSA should feel guilty that they can start in 2/1919....One of the few useful things I did during my short stint there. I set up the framework for new, 40,000 ton ships...and if Carth got the Speculative designs folder, Texas-1 is barely treaty elegable...although I prefer Texas-2.

The Rock Doctor

I'll be sure to lay a guilt trip on Jamie and see how effective it is.

I think the logical course of action now is to bulldoze some houses in Colon and place an order with the good folks who manufacture my 350mm guns.