Panzershiff 1

Started by ledeper, January 20, 2010, 03:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinness

It's way more complicated than that. The 3rd BC squadron (Inflexible, Indomitable, and Invincible) were temporarily attached to the battlefleet because they were on gunnery exercises at Scapa (there was no range at Rosyth). So it is true that they were attached to Jellicoe's command at the time.

Nonetheless, at Jutland, they operated more or less independently. Hood made it a priority once it was suspected that the Germans were out to try to rendevous with Beatty and the rest of the BCs, a task at which he ultimately succeeded.

Unfortunately for Invicincible, the RN's BCs met Hipper's. This was very much what they had been designed to do, but the newer generations of German BCs were superior to I's, and ultimately Invincible (among others) were lost.

This does bring to mind just what a BC was good for. Is it just for hunting old-style ACs? Maybe, but once all obsolete ACs are withdrawn from front line service, then what? I think all involved realized that BCs would meet BCs in large fleet actions. It was unfortunate for Invincible that she was both not generally as well protected as her foes and had *much* worse flash protection.

Were tactics at fault though? This is a question that has been argued for going on 90+ years now.

Carthaginian

LOL... the 'Battle of Battlecruiser Bottoms' is about to be fought again.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

miketr

The one thing to keep in mind about in Navalism since we have no treaty system people are free big cruisers to whatever size and armament they wish.  So it will be hard for us to judge how well any type will do as there are all sorts of possible enemies for them to run into.

ledeper

As I am building a 280 mm Gun for a cruiser type vessel I off course try to sim a vessel that can carry said gun.I personally attempt to disregard OTL,since I am
1:Playing a game,this is the main reason for my lack of interest in different discussion regarding OTL ships,e.g:the discussion on Dd speed /sea keeping.
2:I will rather have some fun/action and thus I build according to my Tech capability  ,and off course "The Bigger The Better" :D :D

And from MY game point of wiev,I have about 15 light cruisers ,+35 dd but only 2 Fleet/Ac cruisers and also has to renew my Bbs,and also have a lot of Bp to suck up.

Jefgte

I agree...
"We like fun & games"

I love Panzerschiffs concept so I could built a fleet with all kind of T3 turrets
2T3x40 - patrol boat
2T3x90 - TB
2T3x120 - DD
2T3x152 - CL
2T3x275 - AC
2T3x340 - BC
2T3x400 - BB

:D  :D  :D
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

P3D

If this ship is a 'super-cruiser' cut armor down a bit. I'd keep the three turrets though.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

mentat

I'd suggest keep 9 x 280mm and the TB, go AoN - MB and Deck as is, lose the UB (limited value vs. 9"+ guns)  - increase speed to 31+ knots and increase Secs to say 14 x 130mm or so

- gives excellent fast strike ship, fleet heavy scout or mobile support to light forces - and it would be a Wheeler Smasher ;D

Tanthalas

Quote from: mentat on January 28, 2010, 06:22:14 AM

I'd suggest keep 9 x 280mm and the TB, go AoN - MB and Deck as is, lose the UB (limited value vs. 9"+ guns)  - increase speed to 31+ knots and increase Secs to say 14 x 130mm or so

- gives excellent fast strike ship, fleet heavy scout or mobile support to light forces - and it would be a Wheeler Smasher ;D

The Wheeler Smasher is already under construction (X2) 6X12" with suficiant armor to resist whealers guns and enough speed to run away from anything it cant outfight atm
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

TexanCowboy

But..but...do you have a Occiantanie smasher yet?  :D

Tanthalas

Quote from: TexanCowboy on January 31, 2010, 12:46:26 PM
But..but...do you have a Occiantanie smasher yet?  :D

I actualy have 4 ships that would compare favorably with her.  and I have the Asfaloths to match up with any of the new BCs being built anywhere.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

TexanCowboy

But do you have a General Kasser smasher? (10x16'' guns, 26 knots, 6'' deck...)

Tanthalas

Quote from: TexanCowboy on January 31, 2010, 02:49:03 PM
But do you have a General Kasser smasher? (10x16'' guns, 26 knots, 6'' deck...)

if I so chose I could build one, however I dont view the 6" deck as somthing we should be using at this time, also I wont be droping below 28 knots for my new BBs.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

mentat

So you have 2 different types of AC?

What is role of the latest 2 vs. your 'Wheeler Smashers'?

i still think they need more Speed + Secs  :)