Iberian BB-1918

Started by miketr, December 20, 2009, 10:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

This is a drawing I am working on for the BB's I am to laydown for H2 of 1918.

Link for the spring sharp, http://www.navalism.org/index.php?topic=672.msg51243#msg51243

Any comments?

Borys

Ahoj!
A good ship which can be built in quantity.
The only thing I could complain about is the light shell, but otherwise fine.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Tanthalas

The Picture is looking good, as Borys said the shells feal a little light to me, Personaly I would want another couple feet of main belt and she is a tad bit slow for a new build (not that I should realy complain as my line speed is the same).  Have you considerd maybe using tripples instead of twins a 3223 arangement might save a little weight.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Jefgte

Nice BB
...Lenght of the 350mm guns...perhaps too much (?)

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Guinness

A 350mmL45 would be 15.75m (51.6 feet) long. It looks like this illustration is 1 foot per pixel, so I make the guns to be 51 or 52 pixels long (guessing at where the breech is). So I think the barrels are about the right length. Visually it may be that the turrets themselves are a little too short.

I think maybe if we looked at this ship in plan, we'd see that the secondaries fall right in the blast area of the fore and aft main battery when trained in their direction. Only a plan view will likely tell you for sure though.

Otherwise, it's interesting that the Iberians are designing ships that look so... German. :)

Jefgte

Finaly, I agree with Guinness,
& add , turrets are too small.

6" gun crew are exposed to blast because they are mount & hoist.
Better protection is probably casemates.

Thanks for the gunners.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Sachmle

Quote from: Guinness on December 21, 2009, 06:26:25 AM
Otherwise, it's interesting that the Iberians are designing ships that look so... German. :)

We presume that to be both incidental on Iberia's part (IC) and a compliment on Guinness part (OOC). :D

As to blast damage...w/ Q he's pretty limited to WHERE he can put the 15cm twins, and in defense they are enclosed mounts
Quote- Gun armour:   Face (max)   Other gunhouse (avg)   Barbette/hoist (max)
   Main:   13.5" / 343 mm   11.0" / 279 mm      13.5" / 343 mm
   2nd:   3.00" / 76 mm   2.00" / 51 mm      3.00" / 76 mm
   3rd:   1.00" / 25 mm         -               -
   4th:   1.00" / 25 mm         -               -
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

miketr

Thanks for the comments.

1) Shells are SS default
2) Yes scale is 1 pixel to 1 foot
3) I am very open to suggestions on size of turrets.
4) Tan its too late to do triples as the ship needs to be laid down this half.  I will be thinking about a AC with triple turrets in the early 20's and then perhaps a BB to follow.  The speed is so they form a tactical unit with my previous DN's, so I get 4 turbine powered DN's able to do 22.5 knots.
5) The ships look German because I stole design points for the superstructure from www.German-Navy.de!  ;D
6) I will think about what I can do with belt length but the design is sorta locked in.
7) As to casements vs. mount and hoist we have had the debate on what is allowed with mount and hoise for some time.  My assumption is these are light structures but fully enclosed like the secondaries on WW2 BB's.  Blast effects is going to be a problem no matter what I do unless I ditched the midships main turret all together; something for a radical rebuild down the road like Conte di Cavour  / Andrea Doria. :)