Colombian Ejercito Musings

Started by The Rock Doctor, November 14, 2009, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

It's that once-a-decade occasion where the Colombians must ease up on their shipbuilding and put additional effort into upgrading the ejercito.

The line infantry are all being upgraded - active and Category A reserves to 6/4, and Category B reserve units to 5/3.  Some, if not all, will get 1910 Motorization.  I'll be starting with the Capital Guards Corps, which hangs around Cartagena.

The light infantry are all being upgraded as well, and with a similar eye towards the active and Category A/B reserves.  Extra costs are being applied to a jungle corps that is moving to Africa; I wrote about it in my 1917 news but didn't pay for it then, so am assuming the process merely took a full year.  I'm not motorizing the light units - most of them are intended to operate in environments where I expect few roads, while the Marines, as ship-launched shock troops, will rely on naval logistical support.  The Marines, the African Jungle Corps, and my Cordilleran Corps around the Darien Canal are the first units to be upgraded.

I will probably, finally, add a single 1905-level armored car unit for evaluation purposes.  My gut feeling is that most of Gran Colombia (perhaps excluding Cuba) and its physical neighbours are not well suited to motorized warfare, so the Colombians aren't really pushing hard in this direction.  What are your views on this?

I suppose I need to convert the Darien Defence Line now that we have new fort rules at last...

Sachmle

Looks reasonable and effective. Good overall plan. I'll have to start something similar soon or fall behind. (And when, outside of Versailles, was the Wehrmacht ever behind? :D) I need to start researching/buy from others the next level Infantry and Light Infantry tech first, as well as motorization. I'm not terribly familier with the geography of New Zealand, with I assume most of Neue Brandenburg to be similar. Nor am I very well versed in the terrain in Afrika, at least the non desert parts.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Valles

Must be nice to have the cash to make that a choice. ^_^

Eventually, I hope to get my entire army to 6/4, starting with the active forces, but that's no few years off given the other demands on my cash flow.

Hmm.

Lessee, for my own amusement,

GC has a total of 25 corps, split 12/13 between 'heavy' and 'light' combatants, most of it either Advanced or Baseline.

The DKB has a total of 23, split 15/8, and almost entirely Advanced.

NS has a total of ... well, I'm not sure, since the information's apparently either missing, nonstandard, out of date, or all of the above, but best guess is 21 corps of Baseline something-or-other.

I have 27 corps, split 23/4, but 2/3s of that are Primitive cannon fodder who haven't been budgeted their upgrades yet.

I can't say that's a balance I'm -happy- with, but it does make sense.
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Borys

Ahoj!
With 34 Corps I'm starting to feel like a warmonger or something ...
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Sachmle

The Austrian's warmonger? Never ;)
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

TexanCowboy

I have but 24, and most are 4/1.... But I am more compact. I think that I'll be upgrading 3 or 4 instead of just 1 this half.

The Rock Doctor

Once I'm done paying for the Congo in all forms, I'm doing well for cash.  The army upkeep rules had that effect.

I can see why the balance of forces between Maoria and NS or DKB would be troubling, but I'm not sure what GC has to do with that.  So far as I know, GC and Maoria's only significant cause of conflict has now been resolved.

Guess if Tex is going to upgrade faster, then I need to move faster on the whole "return Florida to its hispanic roots" operation.

TexanCowboy

Thats not very fast. I upgrade normally at 1 corp per year. Upgrading 3 is not much. It literally is a one time deal.

Logi

Why feel like a warmonger? I have 41 and I'll have 46 in the next half.

I'll motorize and upgrade all my troops soon ;)

Well considering I'm building 2 corps a half and MK probably even faster, you're all pathetic! ;D

Borys

Quote from: Logi on November 14, 2009, 04:58:16 PM
Why feel like a warmonger? I have 41 and I'll have 46 in the next half.
I have a SLIGHLTY smaller population base ...
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Valles

Regarding Grand Colombia, no, there's nothing there to cause trouble, though I do feel like kind of a doik for letting the entire islands go as bases rather than just a section around the ports, given they're the largest landmasses in the chains.

But that's mostly an issue because of my being embarrassed over having missed it in the first place, and certainly wouldn't exist 'in character'.

I just included GC in the listing because, well, that's the topic of the thread. ^_^
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester

Desertfox

I have 20 Baseline Corps, half of which are National Guard, and people call me a warmonger...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

TexanCowboy

You also have 120+ destroyers. No other nation has more than 75.

Kaiser Kirk

Generally Rocky's plan sounds reasonable.
I've been pairing a 1905 AC bgde and 1900 motorization with one of my mobilized Corps for years as ongoing evaluation. However Silesia is better ground for it.

I would think your coastal areas may be flatter, and more suitable for ACs.
ACs in this period were looked at for police actions, urban warfare, etc as well.

Motorization of artillery is a big one though. Even tractor drawn- so not that fast, is still a big advance over horses in some conditions. In muddy hilly areas with bad roads, being able to winch your divisional artillery up the road is advantageous over not having divisional artillery...by a little bit. Of course Light formation disassemble and pack it.

Quote from: Borys on November 14, 2009, 04:33:00 PM
Ahoj!
With 34 Corps I'm starting to feel like a warmonger or something ...
Borys

I really should catch up at some point. :)
But I only have two corps before I hit that 5%...though if I push to 7% I can field 14 more Corps, perhaps as "advanced" reserves for the unengaged fronts....
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest