new Orange ships and projects

Started by Nobody, September 21, 2009, 03:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

2 FC sets... I think we all try that atleast once.  If I recal corectly you can do this but there is no reason to.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Desertfox

I find it funny all those putting 'radar' on your ships. Especially twin radars. That's just wasted weight.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Walter

QuoteSuggestions to improve seakeeping, stability and steadiness?
Uhm... decrease speed? :)
Quote2 FC sets... I think we all try that atleast once.  If I recal corectly you can do this but there is no reason to.
Even if there is a chance it gets blasted as well, I like the idea of having a backup fire control system.
QuoteI find it funny all those putting 'radar' on your ships. Especially twin radars. That's just wasted weight.
Maybe, but on a +30,000 ton vessel, the extra 50 tons does not bother the vessel that much. After all, it's less than 0.2% of the displacement of a 30,000 ton vessel.

Tanthalas

Quote from: Desertfox on March 29, 2010, 11:53:25 AM
I find it funny all those putting 'radar' on your ships. Especially twin radars. That's just wasted weight.

Is it realy wasted weight? we are up to the point that these ships will be around when Radar is extreamly usefull so I see no problem with going ahead and reserving the weight for that purpose now.  That said Huelsmeyer style radar did work, even if IMHO not all that well.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Desertfox

These ships will require a mid-life refit before radar becomes useful.

I know it works, I was the first to put a radar aboard a ship here. I am also the only one with radar technology to not put it aboard a capital ship (only the Fritz II class of TBs have it). Planning ahead with radar is using too much foresight. And radar right now is at the stage where spending 50 tons on it is simply wasted tonnage. It is only useful for collision avoidance while maneuvering in fog.

Nobody

After extensive testing done with Polarstern and Aurora the Orange Navy decided to put at least 2 "electronic distance rangefinders" on every capital ship. This was decided because of the limited capabilities of such devices like limited readiness and the incapability to efficiently track more than one target. Only ships that have at least two sets can be expected operate in groups at night, with one device checking constantly the position of the leading ship and one surveying the surrounding.

Tanthalas

Quote from: Desertfox on March 29, 2010, 01:40:05 PM
These ships will require a mid-life refit before radar becomes useful.

I know it works, I was the first to put a radar aboard a ship here. I am also the only one with radar technology to not put it aboard a capital ship (only the Fritz II class of TBs have it). Planning ahead with radar is using too much foresight. And radar right now is at the stage where spending 50 tons on it is simply wasted tonnage. It is only useful for collision avoidance while maneuvering in fog.

or at Night, or in any other low visibility situation, and that which helps you avoid Colision can also help you find other ships.  Even if I do agree 2 sets is a waste I see it more as a space Issue than anything else, and that only because I actualy draw my ships as accuratly as possible.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

P3D

Quote from: Desertfox on March 29, 2010, 01:40:05 PM... And radar right now is at the stage where spending 50 tons on it is simply wasted tonnage. It is only useful for collision avoidance while maneuvering in fog.

Their primary utility is working as an early warning device. I mean, warning enemy ships with rudimentary DF antennas that you are in a 10-50nm distance.

BTW I dislike the practice of trying to 'moderator-proof' ship designs by throwing 20 to100t misc weight under various pretexts (like duplicate FC).

About those slow cruisers... I agree that their cost is not justified by their capabilities.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Desertfox

Uncreative, balanced, and 'perfect' ships should get a 31.739% "low-imagination" penalty.

Ithekro

Actually there could be an advantage to having two sets of FC...multiple targets.  One set is for the Main battery and engages one target, the other set is for the secondary batttery and engages a different target.  Or engages a target on the other side of the ship.  Most rules I've seen limit you to one target at range unless the ship has more than one fire control/director control system.  The second battery has to fire on the first target if there is only one FC unless the other target is at relatively close range and thus under "Local Control", and usually this has to be on the other side of the ship.

Tanthalas

Quote from: Desertfox on March 29, 2010, 02:51:55 PM
Uncreative, balanced, and 'perfect' ships should get a 31.739% "low-imagination" penalty.

Define Perfect... I figure each nation builds to its own needs, which are higly situational generaly.  My actual production Eorl will be slow (ok so faster than Cross Mirage but still slow) however on every other front it will be Perfect (for me)
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

eltf177

Both designs have Cruiser FC (100 tons), shouldn't ships this size be required to use Capital Ship FC (250 tons)?

ctwaterman

Actually I believe so yes... on all my 9.2" armed designs I use capital ship fire control.

Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Nobody

Quote from: eltf177 on March 30, 2010, 04:43:04 AM
Both designs have Cruiser FC (100 tons), shouldn't ships this size be required to use Capital Ship FC (250 tons)?
Well they are cruisers, that why I used cruiser FC. I looked it up (again) and your are right, BB/BC/AC are supposed to carry the larger FC systems - which makes them even less interesting.

eltf177

QuoteWell they are cruisers, that why I used cruiser FC. I looked it up (again) and your are right, BB/BC/AC are supposed to carry the larger FC systems - which makes them even less interesting.

They still work, you just have to drop most of the interesting items under miscellaneous weight to make room for the larger FC.