New Experimental Light Cruiser

Started by TexanCowboy, August 29, 2009, 11:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexanCowboy

Not using againist subs. To early in history, and the gun cotten would burn out. I'm considering building a export class of minesweepers with this as a primary weapon. Quicker, less dangerous, and has a possibility of setting off muiltiple mines.

And walter, I can use more than one.  :D

Korpen

Quote from: TexanCowboy on August 29, 2009, 02:04:45 PM
Not using againist subs. To early in history, and the gun cotten would burn out. I'm considering building a export class of minesweepers with this as a primary weapon. Quicker, less dangerous, and has a possibility of setting off muiltiple mines.
As a weapon for minesweeping I would not put much faith in it, as to detonate a mine you would need to land the charge very, very close to a mine (exactly how close depends on the sort of mine), something that require one to have a very accurate picture of exactly were a mine is positioned. So perhaps having some utility in removing mines one self have laid, but limited in case of removing hostile fields, and useless in finding mines.

Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Walter

QuoteAnd walter, I can use more than one.
So? You might need to fire thousands of rockets before you actually are lucky enough to take out a torpedo. You only need one net per side so right now, not only does that seem to be the safer option, it is likely to be the cheaper option as well. :)

Few more pictures I took during my visit to Musée national de la Marine in Paris...

TexanCowboy

They limit your speed, and can wreck your screw, can't they.

And Korpen, shockwaves.

maddox

That's the reason torpedo nets fell out of favor. 
Took to long to set-up, limited speed hugely, and with damage, fouling a screw was assured.

But in static situations, they are still in use.

TexanCowboy

Then, in that case, the rockets are much more useful in a mobile action. Therebye, the rockets are on the ship. Maddox, have the mods reached a decision yet?

maddox

I'm the only mod online right now.  And that's because I'm in a totaly different timezone. 
It's 11 pm here, meaning that Guinnes and Rocky probably are having quality time with their families.

So, a tad of patience please.

TexanCowboy

Realize that. Sorry. I'm in their time zone as well.(Texas)

ciders

Take a big voice

Ah ah ! Americans, in their early time zone !

;D
The only difference, between the balls of July 14th and the French Revolution, it is the size of firecrackers and the direction towards which we launch them.

Christophe Barbier, French journalist

Korpen

Quote from: TexanCowboy on August 29, 2009, 02:47:16 PM
And Korpen, shockwaves.
To set off a sympathetic explosion you either need to trigger the detonator of the mine or otherwise raise the pressure to such an extent that the payload detonates. A third way it could knock out a mine is by deform the body causing the mine to sink.
But all these way require the explosion to be very close to the mine, a few meter in side at most (if detonating directly below the mine the difference can be larger).

Quote from: maddox on August 29, 2009, 02:49:47 PM
That's the reason torpedo nets fell out of favor.  
Took to long to set-up, limited speed hugely, and with damage, fouling a screw was assured.
That is not the main reasons; the largest reason was that they proved to not be very efficient in preventing torpedo hits, which meant that the benefit did not outweigh the drawbacks.
However, the nets did not take long to deploy, the later versions could be deployed in 2-3 minutes, and if damages and left dragging then damage to screws was possible, but far from assured.
Good article about them: http://www.gwpda.org/naval/nets.htm
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

TexanCowboy

Rockets more fun. :D. Still Korpen, It makes my ships unique, and is safer then a net pulling them up.

maddox

Korpen, thanks for the article. It seems the 2 articles I have are written by people who just oppose the torpedo nets themselfs.

TexanCowboy

Perhaps I can deploy both on this ship. Your thing says their only a ton per 2,000 square feet.

maddox

With 2*5950 ft² you're counting on 6 tons.  Sounds not even remotely enough.

TexanCowboy

1 lb per sq. ft. is what it says. But won't the torpedo explode and take out the net?