CSA 1917 New Designs

Started by Guinness, June 19, 2009, 06:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentat

Agree that good sea-keeping very important + useful to maintain speed in higher sea states

But I think we need to distiguish 2 different factors:

Seaboat Quality ( as defined in SS) - I think deals with weatherliness - i.e. ability to keep decks free of wash and spray, which will help somewhat in terms of not increasing drag

Ability to maintain Speed - is alsio (and more so??) driven by Size + Length of ship - ability to resist excessive motion that disrupts propulsive efficiency and increases drag in water

The classic WW@ cases were where DDs could not keep up with BCs/Fast BBs in N. Atlantic and also in Pacific

Very long Big ships ( e.g over 800') - get the best advantage - even in long ocean swell - they sit on 3 rather than 2 wave crests - greatly reducing pitching motion in rough seas - much better propulsive efficiency

Good examples would be Hood, Iowas and the Big Queen Cunard Liners

I don't think this is a very well defined area - welcome others thoughts ....

Sachmle

I think Mentat may have a point, and that SS's "Power going to wave-making" may be along the lines of what 'value' he's looking for.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim