Brandenburg, Firanji and New Switzerland

Started by miketr, June 09, 2009, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

Decided to start from scratch to do a detailed topographical representation of NS. First up is the northernmost island and the most important.

The black dot in the south would be Phoenix. White dot to the north would be Lake Constance. Due west of Phoenix is the Matterhorn.

The island is dominated by two mountain ranges, in between lies an impressive canyon and two rivers. The central plain is the agricultural center of NS. The northern end of the island is sparsely populated. The west coast is mainly is mainly fishing villages. The south coast is where the population/cities are concentrated, it is the industrial heart of the archipelago. There are also sizable towns to the southwest. Railroads extend from the southwest corner to the central east along the coast. There is a narrow gage railroad the follows the central gorge but it is passenger only.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Borys

Nice. But I disagree on the narrow-gauge RR. Before the coming of the truck in the '30s it were such light/narrow gauge RR which industralised natons.
2 FT/600mm is OK for freignt, but IMO too small for passanger traffic.
2'6"/750/762mm is good for both
3-3'6"/914-1067mm is even better. IMO you can have the entire archipelago use this gauge - no large distances involved, and the terrain looks rough.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Desertfox

Well railroads are not my specialty. I'll just go with whatever is most common, 3'?

Updated the map with some very important info. The central railroad would be in some pretty rough terrain.

damocles

When will we see the total geography and does that change the current Nverse master map? I tried to model Firanj off of that. If you are not in East Australia, anymore, then I'll go ahead and give it the works and set it up as a new terrain if no one objects.

As of now, I'm confused as to what NS actually is as to where and what.

And do you need help with it?    

Desertfox

I am going of the master map. The island above corresponds to the northernmost one in the right hand map below.

QuoteAs of now, I'm confused as to what NS actually is as to where and what.

The United States of the Swiss Confederation includes the Republic of New Switzerland, located in an archipelago between Hawaii and the Marshalls (right hand map) and the Kingdom of Australia, located in Eastern Australia, plus other territories and semi-independant states such as Hawaii and Alaska.

Borys

Quote from: Desertfox on July 06, 2010, 09:51:12 AM
Well railroads are not my specialty. I'll just go with whatever is most common, 3'?
3'3"
Quote from: damocles on July 06, 2010, 09:58:38 AM
As of now, I'm confused as to what NS actually is as to where and what.
Anything related with the NeoSwiss is confusing ...
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

ctwaterman

Go with 1 Meter in Narrow terrain or 3'3"  go with wider Standard Guage where you can for moving really heavy loads economically.

Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Borys

Ahoj!
I know that this purely academic ... but I believe that in a mountanous island system a narrow gauge system - a better term would be "metre/medium" gauge system - is advisable.
Japanese State railways are 1067mm (3'6").
The fast passanger network was built  much, much later.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Desertfox

Updated, slowly but surely its coming together. The small island due south of Phoenix is where Olympia is located and is also heavily industrialized. The big island SW is sparsely populated and the center of what agriculture/ranching goes on in NS. The random black shapes are the islands I still have to draw.

Desertfox

Another update, almost done. Does still need a bit of clean up, and I am not entirely happy with the two island archipelagos. Might combine the group of islands left-center and create a massive internal lagoon.

Any ideas, comments, criticisms, etc?

ctwaterman

You have a big central Lagoon and you have lots of sheltered anchorages.  Where even a few ASW Nets and booms can cordon off the waters.

All Told you hard work is paying off you now have a map.  You need to put the Volcanoes on the Islands otherwise Texascowboy wont know where to send all the explosives.  ;D
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Carthaginian

I like that... nice map.
Lots of nice, spacious invasion beaches spread out over a lot of places that will need major amphibious effort on the part of the defenders to remain supplied. ;)
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Desertfox

He, I haven't added the terrain features yet. For example the archipelago to the left will be a mess of mountains and jungle. Uninhabited except for the crazy few. The bulk of the population will be concentrated on the big northern island and some of the islands in the middle.

Carthaginian

Islands + Mountains + Jungle - People = PERFECT BASE :D
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

TexanCowboy

Quote from: ctwaterman on August 03, 2010, 02:10:16 PM
All Told you hard work is paying off you now have a map.  You need to put the Volcanoes on the Islands otherwise Texascowboy wont know where to send all the explosives.  ;D

If we don't know where to send the explosives, we send bloody more explosives so that the entire archipelago is blown to smithereens.. ;D