Orange Capital Ships

Started by P3D, May 02, 2009, 01:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Korpen

Nice one, what is the scale?

Is the main guns considered raised, as the barbarettes seems awfully tall?
I also think the turrets need a bit more work, as the almost square appetence looks a bit lazy. At least round of the forward corners, as there is no reason for a sharp edge seen from above.
The secondaries would look much nicer if you made their base wider seen from above, similar to what you did in the side view.

Keep drawing!  :)
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

P3D

Scale is 1pixel=1ft. The ship is small.
Exposed barbettes are 6' tall, to allow access to the turret from below the overhang.
could lower it though.
Have not decided on the final turret form yet, and I might move both turrets further amidship. You can see such a sharp edge on USN turrets.
You should see a different shade of gray on he secondary turret faces from above, guess I will make it darker.

As a note, there's no CT. There's a conning room below the armored deck with a few lightly protected periscopes reaching above. Bridge is also splinter (2") protected.
I might also change the secondary in B position to AA, should look prettier with shorter periscopes.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Korpen

Quote from: P3D on May 02, 2009, 11:25:52 AM
Have not decided on the final turret form yet, and I might move both turrets further amidship. You can see such a sharp edge on USN turrets.
Most US turrets was more or less diamond-shaped, the only turrets that was almost that square I can think of is King George V, but even then there was some curve to the shape of the turret.  So just soften the extremely regular lines of the turrets and I think her look will improve allot.

QuoteYou should see a different shade of gray on he secondary turret faces from above, guess I will make it darker.
Was thinking more about the base of the barrel, as they remind me of spider legs atm...
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Borys

Ahoj!
Looking at NavWeaps pics, I see that in two of historical quads (KGV, Richelieu) the gunhouses are SMALLER than the barbettes. On the KGV the top of the barbette was exposed between the flat front piece and the curvature, while on the French ships the front and sides were exposed.  Exposed does not mean "unarmoured", however.
In the Orange ships I suspect problems in working the external guns, due to cramped circumstances..
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

P3D

Another shot at it. With Habsburg-style turret faces (like my previous ships) and turrets moved a bit farther from the ends.

Borys, I don't see why there would be any problems working the outer guns. Gun spacing and barbette size is in accordance to OTL ships (15" quads and 16" triples). There's enough space for one people standing next to the breech and one walking by.

Cannot get much more details on this scale anyways.
Small caliber AA not displayed.

Jefgte

You have here, the 1913 Languedoc design, the position of the fore plate turret armor & the barbette.

http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=langued1915apl31.tif

;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf