A worst-case scenario...

Started by The Rock Doctor, March 14, 2009, 08:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

...if the Colombians get enamoured with fleet-supported blimp usage is:

The details in top and side views may not match up - I'm just foolin' around.

1Big Rich

Neat, Rocky!

Those are what, 13.5in main battery turrets?  She goes around 45,000 or 48,000 tons? (Depending on speed, of course...)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." -- Grace Murray Hopper

Logi

Carthaginian

A direction that many are thinking about going, it seems... ;)
Great art, as always, Rock... and a missed opportunity for OTL navies, I think. A non-rigid airship on a battleship might have made for some interesting twists and turns in history.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

mentat

Looks great - very handy to be able to carry around sustainable recon

Query though - is it necesary to give up such a large dedicated space?

Obviously blimp cannot be near main batteries when firing - but is hopelessly vulnerable - so would be detached pre actual battle anyway ...

So - how about 3 turret design - 1 at rear - with light platform over the turret (end needs some cantilever support) to receive the blimp?

Sachmle

Hell Rock, if you ditch the blimp and adjust the length to compensate you got yourself a "SUPER" Dum-kerque, er Dunkerkque.  ;D
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

maddox

Quote from: mentat on March 15, 2009, 06:21:47 AM
Looks great - very handy to be able to carry around sustainable recon

But a strange combination.

QuoteQuery though - is it necesary to give up such a large dedicated space?
On the other hand, a blimp is large, so the blimpcarrier needs to be equaly large.
And a large warship without large guns, the blasphemy. But 12 380mm guns, in such a strange lay out.  Nothing Glorious France would copy.

QuoteObviously blimp cannot be near main batteries when firing - but is hopelessly vulnerable - so would be detached pre actual battle anyway ...
It should be in the air, reconning and spotting -cheaper than a few DD's.

Unfortunatly, the offensive power of a Blimp is against "our" warships negliable.
But according to me, the space on the aft deck can be a hangar with weatherproof roofdoors.

QuoteSo - how about 3 turret design - 1 at rear - with light platform over the turret (end needs some cantilever support) to receive the blimp?
Difficult for storage then.

Korpen

Unless I miss my guess the purpose of the blimp in combat would at least to some degree be spotting for the artillery.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Carthaginian

Quote from: Sachmle on March 15, 2009, 10:41:54 AM
Hell Rock, if you ditch the blimp and adjust the length to compensate you got yourself a "SUPER" Dum-kerque, er Dunkerkque.  ;D

Dunkerque + spotter aircraft * high-angle main guns^ years before radar aiming = AWESOME & WIN!

The ship is a meld of form and function that wasn't considered for another decade or so in OTL, but that N-verse could conceivably find justification for due to recent events in long-range firing results against forces unable to match that capability.

Jefgte

- Admiral ship with the "eyes of the Fleet"

- IMO, secondaries are too concentrated.
Place them 3x3 packs (forward, center, aft) to engage 3 DDs
or 4x2 to engage 2 DDs

- Nice concept, this ship is a winner...
She hav'nt retreat turret  :D.

;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

QuoteThose are what, 13.5in main battery turrets?  She goes around 45,000 or 48,000 tons? (Depending on speed, of course...)

It's essentially a Radiante-class hull with stuff moved around - so four triple 13.78"/35cm turrets.  The reduced armament, versus the Radiante class, allows for a top speed of 24 kts and a few other minor improvements.

QuoteGreat art, as always, Rock... and a missed opportunity for OTL navies, I think. A non-rigid airship on a battleship might have made for some interesting twists and turns in history.

Thanks.  I've viewing this as a combination of GC's lagging aircraft tech and operational experience with Guyana off Bharat.  I think the blimp could be more effective as a spotter on account of its lower cruising speed, though it would be vulnerable to enemy aircraft.

QuoteQuery though - is it necesary to give up such a large dedicated space?

It might only be necessary to install the mooring mast - as was historically done on USS Topeka (?) but I'm assuming the landing deck allows for ongoing support and maintenance.

QuoteBut according to me, the space on the aft deck can be a hangar with weatherproof roofdoors.

This notion is being tinkered with in other designs.

QuoteDunkerque + spotter aircraft * high-angle main guns^ years before radar aiming = AWESOME & WIN!

The ship is a meld of form and function that wasn't considered for another decade or so in OTL, but that N-verse could conceivably find justification for due to recent events in long-range firing results against forces unable to match that capability.

Ah, so if I build her, I will name her Awesome.  It'll be at least 1918 before I can lay down another capital ship, so we'll see if events and technology call for such a beast then.

Quote- IMO, secondaries are too concentrated.
Place them 3x3 packs (forward, center, aft) to engage 3 DDs
or 4x2 to engage 2 DDs

Agreed, this is one of the details I hadn't really worked on much.  I'm thinking I might shorten the landing deck a bit and add a deck mount right aft.  Maybe some on the beams aft as well.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The Bushranger

I second (third? fourth?) the sentiment that this thing is 100% awesomesauce and must be built.

Which would, of course, have nothing to do with the fact that it would eat up a large part of GC's capacity and therefore they'd be building less of other stuff, no no, not at all...

The Rock Doctor

I should note that the SS for NGC Awesomesauce provides for a fairly capable ship - so it's not exactly a waste of resources... 

The Rock Doctor

On the other hand, there is this...

Carthaginian

A much more likely, and in all honesty, buildable type of vessel.