Guidelines + Destroyers

Started by Walter, March 24, 2007, 10:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

I'm not sure if I should post it here but...

Regarding minimal hullstrength... "Destroyer" is pretty vague. You should set an actual displacement limit (perhaps influenced by the tech level). Otherwise we might see 10,000 ton destroyers appear using 0.50 hull strength. Yes, the moderators reserve the right to deal out damage or even loss in heavy weather, but still...

Regarding subs... What's the problem there? If I can successfully sim an 8 ton midget submarine with Springsharp (135 of them used in the Wesworld universe), then it should easily be possible to sim one that is larger than that (of course the mini sub did have a negative Survivability but that was caused by the use of the torpedo bulkhead to sim the 3 tons needed for the torpedoes). In the past I have been looking at alternative ways to sim things on a ship, including the ballast of submarines (using the weight of the main belt, deck armor and/or torpedo bulkhead) as well as the torpedoes of submarines (using the end belts; torpedo bulkhead was used for the low externally mounted torpedoes on my midget submarine). Sharp is good enough for subs. You just need to know how to handle it.

Might be wise to set an upper limit regarding the l:b ratio as well as a lower limit to the BC in order to keep the ships a bit realistic. As mentioned by Korpen in another post, SS begins to act strange with a BC below 0.38

Borys

Ahoj!
Already limited:
Destroyer and TB architecture
1880 Baseline (0): single TTs - max 4, displacement 500t
1905 Advanced (+1):double TTs - max 8, displacement 750t
1910 Cutting Edge (+3): triple TTs - max 12, displacement 1000t
1915: max displacement 1500t
1920: quad TTs, 2000t

I do not consider myself qualified to answer question on submarines.

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Walter

Okay, my mistake regarding the DDs. ^_^;;
So if we stick to that as DD description, it should not be a problem.