Map of Africa

Started by P3D, March 21, 2007, 01:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sachmle

Maybe if you zoomed out a little, and it had been modified to include the Rift Sea. Good idea though, in general.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Borys

Re Nile waterflow - using SWAG, the contribution of both the Blue and White Niles seems to be the roughly same. But that it is the Blue Nile which is responsble for the (combined) Nile's high-low regime.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

The Rock Doctor

Big bump.

Folks - as per a brief discussion with Foxy, your views on the location of Zionite railways would be appreciated.  Bear in mind the 1914 discovery of oil in the Gambela region of what we know as Ethiopia.

miketr

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on June 22, 2010, 08:11:21 PM
Big bump.

Folks - as per a brief discussion with Foxy, your views on the location of Zionite railways would be appreciated.  Bear in mind the 1914 discovery of oil in the Gambela region of what we know as Ethiopia.

Mike's Random thoughts.

1) Historic railroads are meaningless for a number of reasons.  First there were only two, one went to the capital and the other came from Italian Eritrea.   Second the geography is wildly different the area is much more industrialized. 

2) The African map has the major cities of New Zion shown and we have the Gambela oil fields.  As a skeletal map I would suggest that they be linked together.

Z1:Atlit
Z2:Tel Aviv
Z3:Eilat
Z4:Ashdod
Z6: Bashir Dar
Gambela

In the north Z1 and Z6 would have railroads running to Z2.  I suspect that the Bashir Dar - Tel Aviv would be a lower capacity narrow gauge line.  From Z2 down to Z3 would be another high / normal capacity line.  From Eilat would be a line out towards Z4 Ashdod and splitting off of it would be the high capacity line to Gambela Oil fields.  The mountains and availability of coastal craft would preclude more lines I figure.

Michael

Sachmle

That sounds pretty reasonable Mike. I can't see there being much more, maybe some narrow gauge spurs out to other unnumbered towns.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

ctwaterman

Just Inland from Z2 and Protected by the Mountains is New Zions Capital "New Jereusalem" or what ever they are calling it .... Its Addis Abiba.....

A Railway line from Z2 to Addis Abiba and on towards Z6 is ....well its probably possible but I will note that Between Z2 and Z6 is the Abay or Blue Nile drainage basen.  For those not familiar with it but have been to the United States Grand Canyon... its very similar.

North of this the Italian Built the Eritrean Railroad in Similar Terrain on the other side of the mountains one 100 mile stretch has 39 tunnels the longest .2 miles and some really impressive bridges....

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

miketr

Looking at this modern map

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Ethiopia_Map.jpg

Z6 Bahir Dar is along Lake Tana and the Blue Nile is crossed by roads at a few points.  So I see it as technically possible but I agree the terrain is not good.  Hence my suggestion for this to be a narrow gauge low capacity line.

Michael

damocles

Anyone know the floatation capacity of the ground along that route? I'm wondering if an armored car column can even operate there, if a standard load RR can't?

miketr

Quote from: damocles on June 23, 2010, 07:49:12 AM
Anyone know the floatation capacity of the ground along that route? I'm wondering if an armored car column can even operate there, if a standard load RR can't?

Issue isn't lack surface strength to be able to carry weight, distributed or otherwise.  Issue is that N and North West part of the country is fairly rugged-ed.  There are clearly valleys and passes so the railroad could get to them but that Lake is in a fairly hard to get at part of the country.  So it could be done but it would be expensive is all.

Michael

The Rock Doctor

Thanks for the discussion.  Unless there are objectives, let's go with Mike's suggestions above.  Please note, however, that Z1 is, in fact, Eliat, and Z3 is Atlit.  Some versions of my map do not accurately reflect this.