Map of Africa

Started by P3D, March 21, 2007, 01:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

Large map, with rivers drawn on on the South.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Borys

Ahoj!
Could we get a nice political map of Africa?

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

khymerion

Nice...  there might be a chance of actually figuring out what holdings I might have or potentially have or potentially have to lose/trade/expand on!

Never leave out an option... no matter how bad it might be.
Hopelessly trapped behind mountains of outdated miniature games.

Sachmle

Will this work?

Obviously someone will have to make the rift modifications, and I'm really not sure where those cuts are.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

P3D

Discussion thread is in another forum, and OTL political map of Africa is basically useless.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Sachmle

Quote from: Borys on July 07, 2008, 01:13:15 AM
Ahoj!
Could we get a nice political map of Africa?

Borys

No one said "Non-current"... :P
At least I tried.  :'(
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

The Rock Doctor

Since the area's a little more lively lately, we're working on the African map again.

You'll note, compared to P3D's earlier work, that the Rift Sea is narrower and Lake Victoria has been re-filled by moving some dirt in that area.

Some political borders - the important, non-historical borders - are tentatively shown, along with some city locations.  The approximate course of the Nile is dotted in.

Suggestions?  Comments?  What needs to be added?

Desertfox

Looks good, except Tel Aviv should be further south (near Addis Ababa).
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

ctwaterman

Beautiful Map....
Massawa is in Eritreia about where it would be in reality basically this port and Mogadishu have been undergoin expansion lately.

Tigavi is a port I inherited and I can only assume its somewhere in Burundi in all likelihood its somewhere along the coast of the Gulf of Tanganyika.  Mario mentioned a port somewhere in the territory of Mozambique that I got from him but we cant find any record of it anywhere...??????  I will simply have to build one when funds allow.

So who do we send the twinkies to for this great map.....
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

The Rock Doctor

I thought I did have Tel Aviv near Addis Ababa.

I'll look for Tigavi in my atlas and stick a dot on the map when I find it.

I look forward to the twinkies.

Tanthalas

Quote from: ctwaterman on November 16, 2008, 10:05:58 PM
Beautiful Map....
Massawa is in Eritreia about where it would be in reality basically this port and Mogadishu have been undergoin expansion lately.

Tigavi is a port I inherited and I can only assume its somewhere in Burundi in all likelihood its somewhere along the coast of the Gulf of Tanganyika.  Mario mentioned a port somewhere in the territory of Mozambique that I got from him but we cant find any record of it anywhere...??????  I will simply have to build one when funds allow.

So who do we send the twinkies to for this great map.....

Ctw, the Port in question was inherited from france with the Purchase of the sothern rift Island Teritory (I belive I called it Italian South Africa)  I was never exactly sure where it was though... (the port that is)
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

P3D

I think the Rift sea should be wider, even if the lake Victoria is re-created. Now Italian South Africa and Orange are just too close, and Madagascar is just too far.

The OTL Zaire 'intrusion' into Zambia on Orange-Netherlands border is straightened out.

maddox

The rift sea still is 250-300 km wide. Not as if somebody would swim across.

P3D

Quote from: maddox on November 17, 2008, 09:24:59 PM

Rather something like 50-200km.

ctwaterman

Quote from: P3D on November 17, 2008, 11:12:47 PM
Quote from: maddox on November 17, 2008, 09:24:59 PM

Rather something like 50-200km.

I was trying to estimate the distance across the Rift Sea... based on the OTL Length of Madigascar as 1000 Km then the rift sea is varriable probably between 125 and 200 Km buy my SWAG [Scientific Wild Assed Guess].

Lake Victoria is necessary because otherwise Egypt is really a Desert....????

I dont know how wide people want the rift sea to be I know I didnt consider it wide enough originally so I think I had 2 Corp in Italian South Africa formerly called French Mozambique just because I am paranoid and you are all out to get me. ;D
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along