Egyptian Design Studies 1912-1913

Started by Talos, September 06, 2008, 03:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexanCowboy

What do you think I'm doing right now?  :D But, on the downside, if Borys invades, or the ottomans, or Ukraine, im toast.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: TexanCowboy on August 27, 2009, 04:19:19 PM
Ohhh, I wouldn't say that. You had guns in your fleet that had more than 4.72''. I had a grand total of 17 warships, and 8 of them were 76 tons. 12 of them quailifed as destroyers at my tech level, and 4 more at the next one.  :)

Bah humbug, I had 12 vessels with 105mm guns as the largest, a total displacement of 14,000 tons, and storyline limitations on personnel.

QuoteThen we have the Nassau and the Lepizing Pact. Both somewhat hate each other,
And I wouldn't say the Nassau and Leipzig pacts hate each other, just certain members don't get along. Other members get along quite well.

QuoteSo, what should I do.
Now now, the fun is figuring that one out.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Guinness

The truth is that even among the three big alliances, there are plenty of friends:

Sure the Dutch and Iberians aren't too friendly. The French and the Dutch not so much either. And yes, the CSA and GC have been known to have their disagreements from time to time.* But generally the Peruvians and Confederates are on good terms. France and Bavaria are doing ok. And France and Iberia seem to be settling into a good relationship of benign indifference. And heck, you don't even have to be in alliance to be pulled into the nexus of relationships: witness Austria.

If I had to predict the future, knowing what I know, I expect that our alliances will morph and evolve. Some, like the Norman/French relationship and the Colombian/Iberian relationship I expect to endure. Others, who knows? If you look closely there are cracks already forming.

A skillfully lead small country could benefit greatly from astute judgments of these changing relationships and actions based on those judgements. It does take the desire to role play, though of course.

* Hey Rocky: we sent you a dead possum in a bag, addressed for the Presidential Palace in Cartagena. Did you get that? The post can be so unreliable.

TexanCowboy

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 27, 2009, 07:31:33 PM
Quote from: TexanCowboy on August 27, 2009, 04:19:19 PM
Ohhh, I wouldn't say that. You had guns in your fleet that had more than 4.72''. I had a grand total of 17 warships, and 8 of them were 76 tons. 12 of them quailifed as destroyers at my tech level, and 4 more at the next one.  :)

Bah humbug, I had 12 vessels with 105mm guns as the largest, a total displacement of 14,000 tons, and storyline limitations on personnel.

Bah Humbug!?!? I have a very small army, with no railguns or armor(yet). You have on of the largest armies in contintial europe. You could repel a seaborn invasion. With me, they could sail straight up the Danube to Burcresti and bombard the place to smithereens.

The Rock Doctor

QuoteHey Rocky: we sent you a dead possum in a bag, addressed for the Presidential Palace in Cartagena. Did you get that? The post can be so unreliable.

The President's chef was uncertain as to how to prepare it, so it ended up being fed to the dogs.  Appreciate the thought, though.

ctwaterman

Possum Pie.... man I have an Alliance with the CSA and they dont send me fresh Possum  :'( :o

As noted Leipzig and Nassau have some strained relationships but as an Example the Empire of Italia and the Kingdom of Bavaria have Familial Relations and recently celebrated a Royal Wedding to end their joint claims to the Area around Trieste.   We even have a treaty and non agression pact.   So I dont see any straining in my relations with my Cousing Father in Law  ;D

As for the ESC as an Example the Empire of Italia just doesnt have much dealing with them and a very neutral relationship.  The Dutch well currently they are pushing a few of the Empire hot buttons but the war is very far away and I would very much like to stay non involved.
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Desertfox

Think your in a bad shape? I played New Zion! Its bad when your pitiful small army consumes 90% of your military income and you have a major power next door that wants you removed from the face of the Earth. Yet in one year I turned the Zionite navy from one barely able to handle pirates, to one that can give an enemy quite some problems.  You just have to get creative.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: TexanCowboy on August 27, 2009, 07:44:06 PM

Bah Humbug!?!? I have a very small army, with no railguns or armor(yet). You have on of the largest armies in contintial europe. You could repel a seaborn invasion. With me, they could sail straight up the Danube to Burcresti and bombard the place to smithereens.

The Bavarians have built a respectable army because when I took over it was still smaller than that of her neighbors despite excess $ and unsettled borders. Treaties guarded the French and Hapsburg borders, but the Italia, ESC, and Ukraine borders were less settled.

Their most vulnerable frontier, that with the ESC, they have secured, and their riverine trade routes to the Atlantic are safe. While the French have dropped our treaty, relations remain good. An understanding has been reached with Italia, so that border is contented.  However, the French (especially), the Hapsburgs, and Ukrainians all field quite considerable forces. 

As for a seaborne invasion, that would be why I have a list somewhere of places to put coastal batteries to cover my 70km of coastline. :)

You have a strategic resource of value, Mines and coastal guns can close the Danube, fortifications multiply the effectiveness of your defenders.  Rumania can tip the balance in struggles between any two of her neighbors.

As for Foxy's Zion, yes great example of how to be a pain in the tuckus :)
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

ciders

Quoteand Egypt, who is too weak to force the Dardellens if need be(War Plan Orion).

But I can attack the west coast of Arabia, or the Syrian coast. And then, I can force Ottomans to divise their forces.  :)

QuoteBah Humbug!?!? I have a very small army, with no railguns or armor(yet). You have on of the largest armies in contintial europe. You could repel a seaborn invasion. With me, they could sail straight up the Danube to Burcresti and bombard the place to smithereens.

Hi hi. You have railways, not Egypt.  ;D

I play Egypt. It's not easy too. I don't have fortress or coastal defences. My fleet is old ( fortunateLy, I have some modern destroyers ), I have two seas to be defended. I have no more Suez canal, my neighbours aremore powerful than me. My army is weak, my fleet is weak. And my technology... arf. But I can make a lot of things. And I'm feeling lucky tha Persia and Ottomans are not playing this time.

But I choose Egypt. And I like it. A minor power, not agressive, not threatening, who live in this part of the map. But a living country, which can hit if the moment is good, which can be made friends. I know, Egypt never will be a major power. But if I can make of the Egypt a medium power in the Middle East... I will be very happy.  ;)

The only difference, between the balls of July 14th and the French Revolution, it is the size of firecrackers and the direction towards which we launch them.

Christophe Barbier, French journalist

maddox

The Suez Canal is rather free to be used . France isn't very restricting there. 
Just announce when a warship is passing, and it will be admitted.

Logi

Don't complain :-\

Have you seen Ireland? Its NZ except surrounded by two powers and with a far worst army and navy.

ciders

Yep Maddox, but with Suez, you have the Sinai. And the mines of coal and iron of this area. ;)

Logi, you have only $15 of revenue. Don't invest $2 for five submarines.  ;D
The only difference, between the balls of July 14th and the French Revolution, it is the size of firecrackers and the direction towards which we launch them.

Logi

Yea, cause I could build 5 submarines. Oh wait, I can't.

Point.

ciders

A small project, taken out of my sick head. I wait your opinions.

Courrier du Nil, Egypt River Auxiliary Ship laid down 1918 (Engine 1905)

Displacement:
   1 539 t light; 1 572 t standard; 1 690 t normal; 1 784 t full load

Dimensions: Length overall / water x beam x draught
   229,66 ft / 229,66 ft x 49,21 ft x 9,51 ft (normal load)
   70,00 m / 70,00 m x 15,00 m  x 2,90 m

Armament:
      2 - 0,98" / 25,0 mm guns in single mounts, 0,48lbs / 0,22kg shells, 1905 Model
     Breech loading guns in deck mounts
     on centreline ends, evenly spread
   Weight of broadside 1 lbs / 0 kg
   Shells per gun, main battery: 150

Armour:
   - Gun armour:   Face (max)   Other gunhouse (avg)   Barbette/hoist (max)
   Main:   0,98" / 25 mm         -               -

Machinery:
   Coal fired boilers, steam turbines,
   Direct drive, 2 shafts, 2 288 shp / 1 707 Kw = 15,00 kts
   Range 2 000nm at 10,00 kts
   Bunker at max displacement = 211 tons (100% coal)

Complement:
   131 - 171

Cost:
   £0,161 million / $0,645 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
   Armament: 0 tons, 0,0 %
   Armour: 1 tons, 0,0 %
      - Belts: 0 tons, 0,0 %
      - Torpedo bulkhead: 0 tons, 0,0 %
      - Armament: 1 tons, 0,0 %
      - Armour Deck: 0 tons, 0,0 %
      - Conning Tower: 0 tons, 0,0 %
   Machinery: 191 tons, 11,3 %
   Hull, fittings & equipment: 397 tons, 23,5 %
   Fuel, ammunition & stores: 151 tons, 8,9 %
   Miscellaneous weights: 950 tons, 56,2 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
   Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
     1 732 lbs / 786 Kg = 3 633,3 x 1,0 " / 25 mm shells or 0,8 torpedoes
   Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1,11
   Metacentric height 2,1 ft / 0,6 m
   Roll period: 14,2 seconds
   Steadiness   - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 78 %
         - Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0,00
   Seaboat quality  (Average = 1.00): 1,56

Hull form characteristics:
   Hull has a flush deck
   Block coefficient: 0,550
   Length to Beam Ratio: 4,67 : 1
   'Natural speed' for length: 15,15 kts
   Power going to wave formation at top speed: 50 %
   Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 50
   Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): 0,00 degrees
   Stern overhang: 0,00 ft / 0,00 m
   Freeboard (% = measuring location as a percentage of overall length):
      - Stem:      16,67 ft / 5,08 m
      - Forecastle (20 %):   10,60 ft / 3,23 m
      - Mid (50 %):      10,60 ft / 3,23 m
      - Quarterdeck (15 %):   10,60 ft / 3,23 m
      - Stern:      10,60 ft / 3,23 m
      - Average freeboard:   11,08 ft / 3,38 m
   Ship tends to be wet forward

Ship space, strength and comments:
   Space   - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 98,0 %
      - Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 121,5 %
   Waterplane Area: 7 888 Square feet or 733 Square metres
   Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 127 %
   Structure weight / hull surface area: 39 lbs/sq ft or 190 Kg/sq metre
   Hull strength (Relative):
      - Cross-sectional: 0,73
      - Longitudinal: 1,61
      - Overall: 0,79
   Caution: Hull subject to strain in open-sea
   Hull space for machinery, storage, compartmentation is adequate
   Room for accommodation and workspaces is excellent
   Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
   Excellent seaboat, comfortable, can fire her guns in the heaviest weather

800 tons : 400 soldiers ( two compagnies )
150 tons : cargo

Guinness

That's an awful big boat for river service, even on the Nile, I think.

EDIT: correcting myself, maybe not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Queen_%28steamboat%29

382 feet long.

I wonder if you still might not want her to draw less though. She may also have an overabundance of freeboard for a riverine craft.