Egyptian Design Studies 1912-1913

Started by Talos, September 06, 2008, 03:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

Foxy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the three Kuffrah class battleships and the ex-CSA TR-113 group were both sold to New Zion.  If so, New Zion presumeably gave you something for them around 1914 or so.

I suspect the 1881 torpedo-boats might have been scrapped by now - they'd be hopelessly obsolete.

ciders

QuoteI suspect the 1881 torpedo-boats might have been scrapped by now - they'd be hopelessly obsolete.

Yep. But, as we say in France, " on fait avec ce qu'on a ".  ;)

QuoteInsert Quote 
Foxy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the three Kuffrah class battleships and the ex-CSA TR-113 group were both sold to New Zion

The TR-113 were sold to CSA. This is the one thing I'm totally sure.
The only difference, between the balls of July 14th and the French Revolution, it is the size of firecrackers and the direction towards which we launch them.

Christophe Barbier, French journalist

maddox

QuoteWe do it with what we have

QuoteWe doen het met wat we hebben.

well put Ciders

Guinness

Talos made a deal to send back 6 TR-113s (which the plan was to scrap) and cash in exchange for 6 A-class boats (3 refit, 3 not refit) and 2 E-class boats, with options to buy up to 4 more, which he subsequently exercised for 2 more.

The TR-113s were indeed originally sold to NZ. I believe they were part of the big ship swap between NZ and Egypt then NZ and the Ottomans that resulted in Confederate pre-dreads sailing with the Ottomans during the last Crusade.

The Rock Doctor

Okay, so I'm thinking that Egypt would benefit from:

-Minesweepers
-Submarine chasers/patrol boats
-Refits to the Campeons, and possibly others
-New destroyers to supplement your few modern units

For auxiliaries:

-A couple of transports could be handy
-Possibly a couple of tenders, as noted
-A royal yacht might keep the king from constantly borrowing your warships
-A couple of older ships assigned to training duties

Guinness

Egypt probably could use a small number (say 4) of modern submarines too. There's lots of choke points in the Med where a sub might be useful in smiting Egypts enemies.

Korpen

Quote from: Guinness on August 26, 2009, 09:45:37 AM
Egypt probably could use a small number (say 4) of modern submarines too. There's lots of choke points in the Med where a sub might be useful in smiting Egypts enemies.
You forgot the zero. As I guess you meant 40, not just 4?

-one can never have too many submarines.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Desertfox

I bought 4 ex-CSA BBs, and 21 TR-113 class DDs. I then sold 2 BBs to the Ottomans, and traded the other 2 and 6 TR-113s to Egypt in exchange for the 3  Kuffrahs and all the (1890?) class TBs.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

ciders

Quote-Minesweepers
-Submarine chasers/patrol boats
-Refits to the Campeons, and possibly others
-New destroyers to supplement your few modern units

For auxiliaries:

-A couple of transports could be handy
-Possibly a couple of tenders, as noted
-A royal yacht might keep the king from constantly borrowing your warships
-A couple of older ships assigned to training duties

Personnaly ( yes I'm French and I love the Youth School ;) ), I think Egypt needs too some light units : cruisers ( 10000 t or less ), submarines or torpedoes boats ( in the Red Sea, a well-placed submarine, and we play to captain Weddingen versus the three old Cressy cruisers, off the Belgium ) and maybe, one or two battleships ( no flagships, what a heresy ).

But royal yacht and auxiliaires, I totally agree. Destroyers... it's really useful ? Egypt have yet 10 ex-CSA destroyers, plus the four 1905-class.

EDIT :

QuoteI bought 4 ex-CSA BBs, and 21 TR-113 class DDs. I then sold 2 BBs to the Ottomans, and traded the other 2 and 6 TR-113s to Egypt in exchange for the 3  Kuffrahs and all the (1890?) class TBs.

And I sold three BB's to Gran Colombia, and 6 TR-113's to CSA.
The only difference, between the balls of July 14th and the French Revolution, it is the size of firecrackers and the direction towards which we launch them.

The Rock Doctor

You (well, Talos) sold the old ex-Caliphate battleships to me.  I think you would probably have the ex-CSA ships still in your inventory.

Guinness

Sure hope so. The CSA would be none to keen for those BBs to end up in Colombian hands. It would probably have repercussions for future relations.

ciders

In fact, all the Egyptian battleships have strangely disapparead in a dark night. No ?  ::)

Desertfox

It's gotta be the 3 round BBs as the other three are in Zionite service. The 1890 TBs should be listed as sold not scrapped. You should have the 2 ex-CSA BBs I sold to Egypt. I don't think they went anywhere.

I find it very interesting that the CSA sold me the DDs, which I then sold to Egypt, which sold them BACK to the CSA! Maybe the CSA could just have kept them...

"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Desertfox on August 26, 2009, 06:03:29 PM
I find it very interesting that the CSA sold me the DDs, which I then sold to Egypt, which sold them BACK to the CSA! Maybe the CSA could just have kept them...

It depends. If purchase price <  (sale price + maintenance savings) Then the CSA came out ahead.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Guinness

Actually, in this case, the CSA came out ahead, as those ships were destined to a couple more years in reserve, then the scrapyard.

This way I got some $ for them, then got them back to scrap them.

Not that I'd designed it that way...