A very Serious Question.

Started by Tanthalas, August 29, 2008, 09:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on August 30, 2008, 07:05:34 AM
-Why did the 1910 CL tech allow twin-mounted batteries?

-Why did the 1912 BB tech allow it?
Continuity.
#1 was the next cruiser tech in N2verse, and Desertfox was already researching it.

The 1911 BB tech was merged from three technologies - Main turret arrangement, secondary arrangement, number of guns per turret. And the cruiser tech already allowed hoisted secondaries - no reason not to allow them on BBs. As it contained significantly more stuff (add AoN), it was to be twice-long tech.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

P3D

Quote from: Korpen on August 30, 2008, 02:02:08 AM
So going by what is written, I have a hard time seeing turreted secondaries as being in accordance with the rules.

As Rocky specifically mentioned that he sees  no need to develop technology for turreted secondaries, there's no one. I argued that when the tech was separated into two the quad turret tech offered obviously less advantages than the BB protection tech or any of the previous BB techs (or any other techs, TBH), but no.

According to your reasoning rules neither allows putting twin hoists on battleships or destroyers either.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Korpen

Quote from: P3D on August 30, 2008, 12:32:19 PM
According to your reasoning rules neither allows putting twin hoists on battleships or destroyers either.
No, according to my interpetation BB and DD tech do not say a word about that in either direction, but there is a "cruiser" tech that DO regulate the use of guns smaller then 6,5´. So if one want to use guns smaller then 6,5´ one will use the LC tech, no matter if one is using them on a cruiser, DD or BB.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Tanthalas

this tech?

Light Cruiser Architecture
1910 Cutting Edge (+5): twin gun mounts

Already have it ^.^ (well the NS already have it and im operating on the assumption im going to get them) not to mention they already have a twin 6" mount (its actualy on some active comands already)

"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

P3D

Quote from: Korpen on August 30, 2008, 12:59:16 PM
No, according to my interpetation BB and DD tech do not say a word about that in either direction, but there is a "cruiser" tech that DO regulate the use of guns smaller then 6,5´. So if one want to use guns smaller then 6,5´ one will use the LC tech, no matter if one is using them on a cruiser, DD or BB.
So the omission of mentioning smaller than 6.5" guns for BBs means that you cannot build full 'turret on barbette' secondaries (even if a mod expressed intention not to make a separate rule for it), but the similar omission of mentioning hoisted mounts in the DD/BB tech would let you use the cruiser tech too build such?

Korpen

Quote from: P3D on August 30, 2008, 01:48:08 PM
So the omission of mentioning smaller than 6.5" guns for BBs means that you cannot build full 'turret on barbette' secondaries (even if a mod expressed intention not to make a separate rule for it), but the similar omission of mentioning hoisted mounts in the DD/BB tech would let you use the cruiser tech too build such?
Missunderstand Me correctly.
I simple meant that as I read things as they stand, on what kind of ships the guns are mounted is irrelevant. If one wants to develop guns smaller then 17cm in a turret with barbarette, one will need the 1920 LC tech, if one wants to develop twin gun mounts one will need the 1910 LC tech. This irrelevant of if you if you then choose to build a BB, LC or DD carrying the gunmount.

At least that is how I read things as they are writen in the rules.

Tanthalas

well I didnt know and thats why I asked lol, but I think I understand that its ok for me to build twin gun mount and hoist secondaries (like the alaska used) and realy that was my Primary concern ^.^
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Korpen

Quote from: Tanthalas on August 30, 2008, 03:04:27 PM
well I didnt know and thats why I asked lol, but I think I understand that its ok for me to build twin gun mount and hoist secondaries (like the alaska used) and realy that was my Primary concern ^.^
As far as i can tell, it is perfetly fine (if you got the mounts developed for the guns in questrion) :)

Tanthalas

well they have bene deployed on a CL so I certinly hope I had them ^.^
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

P3D

Quote from: Korpen on August 30, 2008, 02:27:23 PM
At least that is how I read things as they are writen in the rules.

The intention of those rules as I wrote it was to limit their validity to ships built under  'light cruiser' rule. Now it is up to the new mods to interpret it.

Borys

I sugest we go with Rule As Intended by P3D, as he had conceived it.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Desertfox

NS does have a twin 6" gun mount in service. It is a mount & hoist similar to the OTL Omahas, and is limited to 1" armor. If it is allowed, I would use it for any new battleships/cruisers, while sticking to single 4" guns. Don't bother developing twin 5" mounts. The need for those is still 30 years into the future.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Tanthalas

ya DF im thinking about using mount and hoist secondaries on my new BC Idea its going to be heavier than originaly planed though...
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650