Iberian AC 10 year rebuild

Started by miketr, August 05, 2008, 11:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

There was not a problem with how the hull of Szent Istvan was put together. Danubius had experience building ships, QC issues were rather related to engines and equipment.
The design failure of too shallow "TDS" was a class feature. The Germans suggestion to increase the "TDS" depth even before the design was finalized was ignored, like like the one to decrease main gun armament to reduce topweight.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

miketr

QuoteThere was not a problem with how the hull of Szent Istvan was put together. Danubius had experience building ships, QC issues were rather related to engines and equipment.

I have read otherwise...

Michael

miketr

Some Numbers... on Historic Bulges

Queen Elizabeth -> Beam 90.5 -> 104 (13.5 / 2 = 6.75')
Royal Sovereign -> Beam 88.5 -> 102 (13.5 / 2 = 6.75')
Renown -> Beam 90 -> 101 (11 / 2 = 5.5') later increased 102 (12 / 2 = 6')
Kongo -> Beam 92 -> 95 (???) (3 / 2 = 1.5') later increased 101.5 (9.5 / 2 = 5.75')
Fuso -> Beam 94 -> 100.5 (6.5/2 = 3.25')
Ise -> Beam 94 -> 100 (6/2 = 3')
Nagato -> Beam 95 -> 108 (13/2 = 6.5')
New York -> Beam 95.5 -> 106 (10.5 / 2 = 5.25')
Nevada -> Beam 95.5 -> 108 (12.5 / 2 = 6.25')
Pennsylvania -> Beam 97 -> 106 (9 / 2 = 4.5')
New Mexico -> Beam 97.5 -> 106 (9.5 / 2 = 4.75')
Tennessee -> Beam 97.5 -> 114 (16.5 / 2 = 8.25')

Of course many if not all of these ships had internal torpedo defense systems.  More in a few minutes... 

Michael

Sachmle

The average of all your examples comes out to 8.92'/4.46'. So maybe 9'/4.5' as a starting point?
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

miketr

OK Lets go hog wild here...

Put two 6' bulges on the hull, increasing beam to 73 feet.  As the engines are being replaced and the coal bunkers converted for oil... A Torpedo Bulkhead is included, 4 feet from the hull is a 1.5" bulkead.  Between the 6' bulge and the rebuilt torpedo bulkead is 10' feet of distance.  From what I have read thats the distance the USN went for its base torpedo defense before bulges of course.

Of course this will force me to rework the main belt as once you put in a torpedo defense bulkhead SS increases the size of the engineering space so to maintain coverage I need to lengthen the belt.  At the same time I also need to rework the upper belt provide correct coverage of the area above the main belt...  This is odds are a deal breaker for me... but lets ignore that for now.

In effect I would be doing what the Italians did to those 4 BB's in the 30's but to a pair of AC's.  Ignore the cost issues...  Would the above WORK in peoples opinion?

Michael

Sachmle

Cost excluded, I don't see why not. When the Italians gutted the Cavour's and Doria's they put in a Pugliese TDS, which is much more complex than simple fluid/empty/fluid void TDS. What the hell, why not bore out the 250mm guns to 260mm while you're at it.  ;D
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

P3D

Quote from: miketr on August 05, 2008, 09:54:43 PM
OK Lets go hog wild here...

Put two 6' bulges on the hull, increasing beam to 73 feet.  As the engines are being replaced and the coal bunkers converted for oil... A Torpedo Bulkhead is included, 4 feet from the hull is a 1.5" bulkead.  Between the 6' bulge and the rebuilt torpedo bulkead is 10' feet of distance.  From what I have read thats the distance the USN went for its base torpedo defense before bulges of course.

Of course this will force me to rework the main belt as once you put in a torpedo defense bulkhead SS increases the size of the engineering space so to maintain coverage I need to lengthen the belt.  At the same time I also need to rework the upper belt provide correct coverage of the area above the main belt...  This is odds are a deal breaker for me... but lets ignore that for now.

In effect I would be doing what the Italians did to those 4 BB's in the 30's but to a pair of AC's.  Ignore the cost issues...  Would the above WORK in peoples opinion?

Michael

Lemme think about it a bit, I'll try figure it out how such a rebuild  could be represented in SS2.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas