Ukrainian Capital Ships

Started by Eugenius, January 17, 2008, 07:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugenius

Here's a question: is it worth it to me to reconstruct the battleship Pobedonosets?  I was reading a book in my university's library about a proposed modernization of her sister ship Sinop by cutting her down a deck, removing the six old 12" guns in the central battery, and rearming her with four modern 12" guns in turrets fore and aft, as well as cutting down the superstructure, replacing secondaries with lighter, more useful anti-TB guns, and replating her with lighter, more modern armor.

Now I'm wondering about several things:

1.  If I undertake this modernization, what can I do with the material being ripped out?  There's a lot of it: an entire deck, six old guns with three barbettes, and a bunch of armor from all over the place.  Does this get thrown away, or can I get scrap value from it?

2.  Armor: should I strip all of it out, or maybe leave the weak end armor in place and just take out and replace the citadel and barbette armor?

3.  Engine: if I'm going as far as I am already, should I upgrade the engine so as to be capable of more than 16 kts?  I can get up to 18 kts with or without a

4.  Bulge: it occurs to me a rearmed Pobedonosets could be a good fire support ship if she had a bulge.  Is this worth it?  That reminds me....

5. Is any of this worth it?  I'm taking a nearly 20 year old battleship and turning it into a CDS/monitor/high-end pre-dread with (looking at initial figures) 3 HBP and $3-4, not counting an engine replacement.  This might not seem a very good deal, but my HBP are limited (only 10.5), so if I could possibly get Pobedonosets to stay useful in some form for another ten or twenty years, it might be a good economical measure.

Korpen

Quote from: Eugenius on January 17, 2008, 07:27:36 PM
Here's a question: is it worth it to me to reconstruct the battleship Pobedonosets?  I was reading a book in my university's library about a proposed modernization of her sister ship Sinop by cutting her down a deck, removing the six old 12" guns in the central battery, and rearming her with four modern 12" guns in turrets fore and aft, as well as cutting down the superstructure, replacing secondaries with lighter, more useful anti-TB guns, and replating her with lighter, more modern armor.

Now I'm wondering about several things:

1.  If I undertake this modernization, what can I do with the material being ripped out?  There's a lot of it: an entire deck, six old guns with three barbettes, and a bunch of armor from all over the place.  Does this get thrown away, or can I get scrap value from it?

2.  Armor: should I strip all of it out, or maybe leave the weak end armor in place and just take out and replace the citadel and barbette armor?

3.  Engine: if I'm going as far as I am already, should I upgrade the engine so as to be capable of more than 16 kts?  I can get up to 18 kts with or without a

4.  Bulge: it occurs to me a rearmed Pobedonosets could be a good fire support ship if she had a bulge.  Is this worth it?  That reminds me....

5. Is any of this worth it?  I'm taking a nearly 20 year old battleship and turning it into a CDS/monitor/high-end pre-dread with (looking at initial figures) 3 HBP and $3-4, not counting an engine replacement.  This might not seem a very good deal, but my HBP are limited (only 10.5), so if I could possibly get Pobedonosets to stay useful in some form for another ten or twenty years, it might be a good economical measure.
Not worth it I think, her armour scheme is horrible, it is far too thick and far too narrow, and any change in displacement will either lift it out of the water or submerge it completely. Compensating for that would mean a rebuild were you changed much of the upper works, the armament, engine and all the armour. Then it is better to just build a new ship. If just looking for a fire support ship I know something just as usefull can be built on around 5-6000 ton, effectively about the cost of rebuilding this old ship (3BP+scrap value).
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Ithekro

With all that work it would seem like a renstruction.

Tanthalas

Im afraid even me the great saver of ships has to say scrap em.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

olekit

Yes, It is better to ypu to scrap your capital ships and build a new ones. The refitting of that ships is expensive and slight modernisation could not make them stronger and faster.