The Emerald Queen

Started by maddox, January 09, 2008, 09:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthaginian

More like one round a minute, and reliably so if they are anything like the USN's 13" guns.
And it would only take 1 BP to make 2000 rounds for them. ;)
Fairly workable situation, if you have a base of operations.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

maddox

ROF

Depends mainly on how the guns are mounted , how the additional machines like hoists and rammers are layed out, and the crucial factor, crew quality and training.

The guns can be old, but the ship itself is sparkling new and newly designed.
So I doubt that a well trained crew can't get a shot every 90 seconds.

Ithekro

For such a vessel, rate of fire is not an issue.  Just firing the things should be enough to scare off anyone foolish enough to try to capture this ship.  Only a serious warship could run in without much fear.  While it is not fool-proof protection, it is enough to keep the pirates and rivals away.  Also most customs vessels and patrol boats.

"Oy that looks like a juicy target, lets take that one."

Warning shot fired over the Queen's bow.

"Heave to and perpare to be boarded!"

---FuBOOOM!!!---
---SPLOOSH!!---

:o .... :o

"I think we'll be running off now."   :D

"I think I wet myself."  :-[

maddox

Also true.

Those old 13" L30  (or 35) guns are more than a match for any pirate, and outside any navy, I don't think there is much that would like to handle this ship.

The twin turret aft, or the single in front will have their own power to Intimidate, just by swinging to the right direction.
Not to count the 70mm QF guns on the sides, each with a machine gun nest in overwatch.
Even if the 13"s  give a shot every 90 seconds (that means they have almost 4 minutes to reload), it must be a brave pirate attempting a boarding.

The reason this ship has 13" guns, is because the person ordering it doesn't know -directly- about warships. It sounded bigger than 11", as what is the measely 1" difference for a 12" gun, so a 13" it must be.

Digging trough the Nverse history, only the Anuhuac used a 13" gun on their battlebarges, and with the French being involved with the Anuhuac, it's not farfetched that there are a few Anuhuac 13" guns in the naval inventory of New Rhun.

Desertfox

QuoteHowever, if this vessel, or its crew, does not conduct acts of piracy on land or sea, than it is not a pirate ship. Perhaps in Navalism's world, independents with money can buy/build registered warships?
That certainly didn't help Sparrow. Only crime that can conclusively be proven against him is the transportation of stolen goods.

Anyway, back to the topic. A true Pocket Battleship, one which would give Swiss Admirals migranes and heartburns.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

maddox

Sparrow was hunted by a lot of navies, his main source of intelligence, supplies and the fence to relief him of the stolen goods abcent.

A wonder he could run for so long.

Concerning headaches for NS admirals. I think they have a problem with a loss of head ache.

The Emerald Queen isn't even build yet, her specs unknow to even the builders. So, lets have fun.

Borys

Ahoj!
With hindsight I would had gone with 13inch guns.

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Ithekro

The Anauac 13" guns were a method of one upsmanship towards Rohan, as well as matching an American caliber of gun.  Rohan was using 12" guns so the Anahuac needed a 13" gun, which in turn set of Rohan to make a 14" gun by the time the war ended.

Oddly enough, there are still only two Rohirrim ships with 14" guns in the water.  The rest of them are still on the building slips.

The 13" guns are impressive and even if they don't have the range of the 14" guns or the longer barreled 12" guns in use by 1910, the range is more or less a non-factor without some serious fire control abilities for guns of this size.  Perhaps armor penetration ability, but the newer 12" guns should be equal (if not better) at penetration than this older 13" gun.

I do wish we had some of the old Anahuac fleet records.  That way we could actually reuse the ships that dissappeared after the end of the war.  Also would remind us of just how many ships survived the war.  While most of the Pacific Fleet was sunk, the Caribbean Fleet was in better shape (unless the Rohirrim bombarbments did something).  Part of that fleet escaped as the Fleet of the Mark did not have the speed to chase them down.  What happened to them all is a mystery of sorts.  It is suspected that the majority were scrapped to kick start the Anahuac (Brazilian) and MesoAmerican economies in the post-war era.  Some might exist.  The ships that were cheaper to operate. or that had the most spares to keep in operation are likely still in service.  The remaining Battlebarges are likely gone save for the one Brandenburg operated battleship (ex-11).  The Armored Barks are likely gone, but a few of them may have escaped the scrapyard in one way other another.  The torpedo Boats likely still exist as there were lots of those.

As for this armed liner...we'll see after she is finished in a few years.

The Rock Doctor

Walter builds things like this in Wesworld, so we can't rule out a Japanese influence...the reference to Marisa might simply be a red herring.

QuoteWith hindsight I would had gone with 13inch guns.

I've considered it for the next gen of GC battlewagons, but am not clear on where it fits into the gun chart.

It is suspected that the majority were scrapped to kick start the Anahuac (Brazilian) and MesoAmerican economies in the post-war era.

Perhaps I'll find one beached in some minor tributary to the Amazon.

If nothing else, the design's quite interesting and unusual, so I'll thank the responsible parties for that.

The Rock Doctor

QuoteDigging trough the Nverse history, only the Anuhuac used a 13" gun on their battlebarges, and with the French being involved with the Anuhuac, it's not farfetched that there are a few Anuhuac 13" guns in the naval inventory of New Rhun.

Actually, the ACM used 13" as well; I was attempting to reverse-engineer it when we got to the re-set.  Said ship, Helene, remains in service as a training ship for the Armada.

Borys

Ahoj!
13" is a cool calibre - with 1250 or 1300 lbs shells - practicaly as good as the early 14 inchers.
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!