A Problem?

Started by Tanthalas, November 30, 2007, 10:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

So i was siming around with ships and i realised somthing.  while if your building huge monsters of ships the new sustem of using light displacement saves you money over the old system.  If like me you are building smaller ships, you are actualy spending more than you were under the old system.

Example:

my light BB which previously would have cost me 17.00 actualy costs me 17.57 now

while my monster (which i still cant afford to lay down i might add)  which previously would have cost 23.31 now only costs 21.29

so it got cheaper to lay down realy big ships, which while we could lay them down smaller countries like me could never finish them (or atleast we realy couldnt build anything else while we were working on them). while smaller just as capable ships have gone up in price thus making it more dificult to defend building them from a RP perspective atleast.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

P3D

I was aware of this, but decided that these rules would allow some significant simplification. And keep in mind that from 1913 onward you would have to use a correction for SS2 inflation, and that would definitely make it a bit more complicated..
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Tanthalas

Quote from: P3D on December 01, 2007, 12:17:16 AM
I was aware of this, but decided that these rules would allow some significant simplification. And keep in mind that from 1913 onward you would have to use a correction for SS2 inflation, and that would definitely make it a bit more complicated..

and if your in the Major Power or above Catigory it dosnt realy matter to you.  Elevator elevator the little guy gets the shaft.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

P3D

Little guys building more little ships (destroyers, cruisers) will be better off.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Tanthalas

I think you totaly miss my point here.  it is simply this why should USS Monster cost less pound for pound than USS microsail.  if anything pound per pound they should be equal.

But I understand that as a Major Power you are going to give yourself every advantage to stay there.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

P3D

It might be only your example.

If you check price per ton for battleships, you would notice that it decreases significantly. E.g. Iowas were like only a bit more expensive than the Alaskas, and the Bismarck cost twice as much as the German heavy cruisers with far more than twice the combat power.

SS calculates price by displacement, armament and engine weight, and I do not really know the details of the calculation (and have no need to reverse engineer it).  You forgot to mention that cruiser are now significantly cheaper than before, unlike battleships where the price decrease was smaller, and a nation building small ships would be better off. I'd also note that you older 16500t ship would cost $16.5 by the new rules not $17.6.

So you can believe that the reason for the new cost calculation was the simplification of the rules. You can also believe I spent several days, comparing how could I change the rules only to screw Italy in particular.

Tanthalas

lol you misunderstand my point entierly...., im simply useing my ships as examples because i have them readily available.  Honestly i dont belive that anyone was trying to screw anyone, however the effect is still there.  IDK about other players ships, but for me the only place that using light displacement helped me was in the destroyers, where i went from 1.15 to 1.00.  I wasnt arguing that the change was necissarily bad (although it is far more benificial to larger countries than smaller ones)  and realy it wont change what I build at all I will still try to get the most for the least bp possible. 

oh and remember even if I dont agree with somthing I will argue a point just for the sake of debate
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

P3D

Look at the Orange designs thread. The balanced 8x13.5" battleship (18750t 21kts BB), stripped down for affordability, would cost $20.4 by SS2, here the price is decreased by 9%. The ships which Orange is building/planning are larger, not well-balanced and only 2-3% cheaper. Benefit to the small country, screw the big one. In your particular case, the change works one way, in other cases the opposite.

The Rock Doctor

I dunno - a GC torpedo boat is essentially the same price. A Westmoreland class protected cruiser costs $3.88 now, versus $3.92 earlier (a savings of 1%).  A Triunfante class battleship costs $22.69 now, versus $23.10 earlier (a savings of 1.8%).

The changes strike me, at least, as being essentially cost-neutral, and easier to track with BP = $.

Tanthalas

well atm atleast for me it isnt cost neutral, i tend to agree it made keeping track easier, and ill just have to pay more atention to light weight than I do to the $ cost which used to be my benchmark.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

The Rock Doctor

Which light battleship design are you referring to, incidently?

Sachmle

"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Ithekro

For some of us the money issue is still new as before everything was  some form of build point.  To the point of half or more of a countries industrial production was taken out by maintenance.  Now we can use the majority of our BP for building stuff.  We've been using light tonnage for construction without thought to the cost of the ship at all.