Torpedos and Mini-TB's

Started by Blooded, November 22, 2007, 01:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blooded

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best area but here goes.

After reading comments in the old Swiss Building Reports and an older post at Warships1 by a few of you.

I had the impression that TT weighed 4 tons or so and Torps a few tons apeice. I was thinking of voluntarily changing my torps to 3 tons on DD's and 4tons on CL+. But I don't really want to cut my abilities too much. I noticed that this can be done usually by just removing the reloads. Should we even have reloads during this period?

This also would help stop creating the 'Turbina' Type PT boats. I really believe these should be disallowed. I could understand a few of these types having a good effect, but DesertFox was planning Hundreds(or so it seemed). Kamakazi style tactics are a rare occurance and should be discouraged. We need to be careful of 'well they did it here...' Technology was advancing very quickly during this period and it took a World War to alter mindsets as well. I was not sure if this had been resolved completely.

Opinions?
"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

Ithekro

Considering how many were lost (22+ in combat with many many more lost/unfinished in Hainam and Taiwan) with fairly limited results, they are not exactly a success story.

The Rock Doctor

In the case of stuff that can't be reliably simmed in SS, I'd look to historical designs to guide what is and is not possible.  There was some earlier discussion about Turbinias and their practicality, but I don't know that a solid conclusion came about. 

QuoteKamakazi style tactics are a rare occurance and should be discouraged.

I wouldn't say we saw a lot of intentional kamikaze-style tactics in the Second Pacific War.  What we did see was a lot of unintentional kamikaze tactics because players (or their proxies) became fixated on winning battles.  They didn't seem to consider what each target/objective was worth, and rarely show a sense of strategic self-preservation necessary to win a campaign.

Desertfox

Well I for one did try some self-preservation, my whole strategy was built around it, only ordering one kamikaze style engagement (1st relief of Saipan), and trying to avoid battle except under favorable circumstances. I did not lose a single battle where my orders where followed, where they weren't followed, well it looked like Kamikaze attacks.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

P3D

Quote from: blooded on November 22, 2007, 01:40:22 AM
Hello,

Not sure if this is the best area but here goes.

After reading comments in the old Swiss Building Reports and an older post at Warships1 by a few of you.

I had the impression that TT weighed 4 tons or so and Torps a few tons apeice. I was thinking of voluntarily changing my torps to 3 tons on DD's and 4tons on CL+. But I don't really want to cut my abilities too much. I noticed that this can be done usually by just removing the reloads. Should we even have reloads during this period?

Yes, a TT and a Torpedo weights like 3.5-5t. Rules were not modified due to public outcry. So one torpedo weighs 1-1.5t and the TTs are considered to be included in the hull weight.
Reloads were more common in WWI than later AFAIK.

This also would help stop creating the 'Turbina' Type PT boats. I really believe these should be disallowed. I could understand a few of these types having a good effect, but DesertFox was planning Hundreds(or so it seemed). Kamakazi style tactics are a rare occurance and should be discouraged. We need to be careful of 'well they did it here...' Technology was advancing very quickly during this period and it took a World War to alter mindsets as well. I was not sure if this had been resolved completely.
We haven't drafted any torpedo boat rules, and those "Turbinias" Desertfox was building would have stats determined by the moderators. Like 60nm range, 26kts max speed, etc. The boggest problem is that we cannot sim them in SpringSharp.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas