For Export?

Started by Carthaginian, October 31, 2007, 04:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

i was actualy looking at mine 500nm is actualy plenty for the med, google earth ftw
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Carthaginian

500 n. mi. is a good range, but not at 10 knots... especially when your top speed is 3x that much. You drop to about 50 miles worth of range at dash speed, and that'll barely get you out of the harbor. That's why I stretched the range on these like I did.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Carthaginian

Got bored doing my homework (damn lot of it in nursing school), so I decided to draw up this baby on 1pix:4" scale. She turned out to look rather longer and leaner at this scale... but no less the greyhound of the sea that she is.

And if you'll notice, Borys, I even included a proper jack.

P3D

I found some data on historical Austrian TBs, what was considered adequate range for the adriatic:
Huszar, 390t, 500nm@28kts,
Tatra, 850t, 500@32, 1200@20, 104t coal, 125t oil

This is adequate from Cattaro to Otranto, a bit fighting and back, all full power.

74T, 250t, 300@28kts (requirement was 10 hour Full power at 30kts, but the ships specification was changed from 30 to 28kts).

So a good range figure would be 300@27.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Carthaginian

She only comes in at 125 n. mi. @ 27.75 knots with full bunkers at standard displacement; at max displacement (probably with bags of coal in the hallways), that goes up to 205 n. mi. @ 27.75 knots. But considering that she's a full 100t lighter at normal displacement than the ships you're citing, I think she's well within realistic limits; she has 7 hours at full power- that's longer than her stokers can last.

http://www.warshipsww2.eu/lode.php?language=E&period=&idtrida=984
This is the ship I based her on; she's still smaller than the ones you are looking at.

P3D

[Nitpicking mode on]
A 250t (normal) TB is quite smaller than this 250t(light) TB. And the historical ship had 70t coal capacity - that was bunker, excluding whatever was piled on the deck - but that's not a good idea on a destroyer which will get wet.

But as we cannot sim small ships correctly, nothing we can do. They will be smaller ad slower, have less range but too strong armament.

Note: I realized lately that should have posted this data on Miketr's thread, with slightly smaller TBs that have inadequate coal bunkers (13t, 1/4th of yours).
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Borys

sniff,sniff - I'm touched ....
But shouldn't the bottom right corner be green?
The Habsburgs being pro-ecology and anti-globalwarming and all that?

The turtleback bow is excellent!
Borys

NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

P3D

Quote from: Borys on November 07, 2007, 12:38:35 AM
sniff,sniff - I'm touched ....
But shouldn't the bottom right corner be green?
That's the MERCHANT flag. War flag is rot-weiss-rot.

Borys

Ahoj!
Thanks.
The Ausglech had limits ... :)
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!