Game Speed

Started by P3D, March 02, 2007, 11:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

Note that we where never delayed by the Quarter Reports, only news would slow us down. So I dont see a need to change the Quarter Reports.

Maybe we should havethat as part of the Q Report we have important things going on in that quarter. The news would only be to expand on that.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

swamphen

I agree with Rocky that six-month sim-periods would seem the most logical solution.

Ithekro

I think I can handle dual quarters in a turn (six months at a time)  We'd need to adjust our constants in construction and upkeep if we keep the present system to make the two quarters in one work. (multiply the end results by two in most cases).

Earl822

Assumably we could use the same slip twice in this period?

Alikchi

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on March 02, 2007, 12:30:29 PM
Suggestion:  1 sim year = six weeks of real time.  ~8.5 years of sim time in one real year.

Only two sim reports to be filed; at the start of week 1, we file the report for the first six sim-months of that sim-year and then have three weeks to role-play out whatever has to be played.  At the start of week 4, we file the report for the last six sim-months of the year, and role-play out that time period.  The second year begins at week 7 (or earlier, if all are ready).

Research rules can be adjusted to provide a greater probability of success over the longer time period.  Maintenance rules can be based on what you had at the start of the report period, rather than the end.  If one mobilizes one's military during a report period, one doesn't go back and revise their report - they just book the difference in cost as a debt, and start paying it off after the military is de-mobilized.

We can probably get as much roleplaying done for a half year in three weeks as we can for two separate quarters in four weeks, and with just half as many sim reports to write (and read, and in a mod's case, roll R&D success rates for).

This sounds very doable to me. I could keep up with this.

The Rock Doctor

Earl822:  Slips or drydocks could be used multiple times in a half-year if the jobs allowed for it.  Just think of it as two quarterly reports lumped together.

QuoteNote that we where never delayed by the Quarter Reports, only news would slow us down. So I dont see a need to change the Quarter Reports.

Foxy's correct in this regard, but I'm making the case that if each of us has half as many reports to write, and half as many reports from other people to read, it leaves us more time to concentrate on the fun stuff.

Desertfox

One thing I would like to see added to the Quarter reports is a summary of the news, that way even if you forget or dont have time for full news, at least we can know whats going on.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Borys

Ahoj!
I agree with Desertfox - the Reports never slowed us down.
It took me 10 minutes or so to do my Budget, as I used the previous Quarter's as a template.
Is there anybody who does so differently?

As to quarterly news summary - I copied Ithekro's idea and posted my news in quarterly threads. Unless the news were very event or location specific.

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

swamphen

Heh, I usually have 1-2 years of quarterly reports filed away.  ;D

Earl822

I attempt to do that as well, then my plans change and its back to the drawing board