Habsburgs Panzerkreuzer 1909

Started by Borys, September 01, 2007, 02:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korpen

Quote from: Borys on September 02, 2007, 04:09:08 PM
Ahoj!
The question now is - build two Radetzkyy's, or five of the 5x6 inch 4600 ton cruisers?

Borys
I would argue for two Radetzkyy´s, they are much harder to counter for an enemy to counter.
The cruisers can be countered by a mass of destroyers (as they can bring at most three guns to bear in any direction) or light cruisers, or armoured cruisers of their own. A pair of Radetzkyy would require a true battle cruiser to counter, they are to fast to effectively engage with torpedoes, and the 24cm guns make mince meat of protected cruisers in short order.

The only disadvantage would be that they could only be in a single place at any given time, but I think that is not much of a disadvantage, as it encourages concentration of power to the decisive point. Several cruisers spread out over the empire is easy meat until major forces have arrived.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Carthaginian

I've debated over building a few of these kind of ships, heavy cruisers before their time.
Honestly, I don't know if it'd be worth it to build them for me, especially with lack of overseas colonies.

They are fun to design, though.
I had a great one with 4x2x9.2".
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Borys

Quote from: Korpen on September 02, 2007, 04:02:36 PM
Not a bad ship by any count, as far as I can see she is optimized for destroying light and protected cruisers, she would be at best equal with older armoured cruisers.

Hmm, 8 nine-and-a-half inch guns is "at best equal with older armoured cruisers"?
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!