Refitting the Graz

Started by Borys, August 01, 2007, 03:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korpen

Quote from: swamphen on August 01, 2007, 02:41:17 PM
The one I was thinking of is the E-mine, which is given as a 330lb/150kg charge.
Comparing with other mines were the weight is given I would guess that the total weight is around 700kg.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

P3D

For US mines there are some quotes on Navweaps. But for simplicity we should stick to 1t per mine. Good rule of thumb.
BTW we have some minefield rules coming up...
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Borys

Ahoj!
Swamphen was talking about a 150kg charge, so - times five - 750kg.
OK - let it be 1 ton per mine ...
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Borys

And now - to my original question:

I arm the Graz class with either 8x6 inch, or 10x5" guns, and give them new engines. Part of the space freed up by the engines is taken over by coal bunkers.
The guns should be with hoists (needs more work, construction of magazines underneath the guns and the hoists themsleves) or without.
How much does this exercise cost?
Any difference - hoist or no hoist? Or is the difference peanuts and not worth the distinction?

Borys

Bambi must DIE!

Desertfox

Back to mines, how about pressure mines which don't require sinker + chain? New Switzerland is already using them.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Borys

Ahoj!
Pressure mines are bigger, as they detonate further from the hull, so weight as much as their moored cousins.
Also ton a pop.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Korpen

Quote from: Desertfox on August 01, 2007, 03:44:46 PM
Back to mines, how about pressure mines which don't require sinker + chain? New Switzerland is already using them.
Like Bory said, like all bottom mines they have a larger payload in comparisson to their weight. Hower a bottom mine in more the 60m of is ineffective, and the fuzing get less realible the deeper the mine is. In practice, considering we are only in 1908 I would say that they would be highly unrealible.
But I think the mine tech tree is a mess, most of the mine tech mentioned is more then 30 years ahead of time, irl magnetic mines pre-dates (guess you could call us "K-pistol" a magnetic mine) pressure mines, and neither were operational before the late 30;s.

swamphen

750kg means I've been underestimating; however the 1t per mine I reckon will work - will edit my Encyclopedia (had been using 1.5 mines per ton) as time permits.

(Although that makes me wonder how some of those historical German KKs crammed in 400 mines...)

miketr

Quote from: swamphen on August 01, 2007, 05:31:05 PM
750kg means I've been underestimating; however the 1t per mine I reckon will work - will edit my Encyclopedia (had been using 1.5 mines per ton) as time permits.

(Although that makes me wonder how some of those historical German KKs crammed in 400 mines...)

I suspect the cruisers would do the missions with only half their coal load; that would free up lots of displacement for a mine mission if your only going to 2,000 miles or so you can skimp on the coal and other consumables.  Doing some quick games with SS I was able to come carry 200 tons of misc weight on some of my cruiser designs by dumping 1/3 or so of the ships range. 

Michael

Korpen

Quote from: swamphen on August 01, 2007, 05:31:05 PM

Either by carrying less fuel or simply by overlaoding the ships. 1ton per mine is great for what can be carried for an extended time, but for shorther (in time) operations, ships can basically carry as man they can fit.