Southrons only?

Started by Borys, June 28, 2007, 01:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borys

Ahoj!
Discussion of interesting AH - in 1843 tthe Yanks secceed from the USA!

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=65506

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

swamphen

The South shall...errrrr...rise bright and early?

Carthaginian

LOL... IIRC, New England did bat the idea around after the War of 1812.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Desertfox

Interesting but not one to my liking. All of Mexico Confederate? Nope don't like! :P
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Korpen

Quote from: Carthaginian on July 03, 2007, 03:43:38 PM
LOL... IIRC, New England did bat the idea around after the War of 1812.
Seen something similar happen when i Played Victoria, total entropy of the USA, New Enland broke loose, dessert became independent, and CSA won the civil war (The fact that I, Prussia, sent half my army there might have had something to do with that).  8)
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Carthaginian

Quote from: Korpen on July 03, 2007, 04:00:07 PM
New Enland broke loose, Dessert became independent, and CSA won the civil war...

LOL... well, if Clinton or Obama wins in 2008, you might see it happen in real life. ;)

Korpen

Quote from: Carthaginian on July 03, 2007, 04:06:20 PM
Quote from: Korpen on July 03, 2007, 04:00:07 PM
New Enland broke loose, Dessert became independent, and CSA won the civil war...

LOL... well, if Clinton or Obama wins in 2008, you might see it happen in real life. ;)
Stranger things have happend, but not often...

Have also played Victoria in a grand campaign AS New England, great fun, the US invades every ten years (as soon as the peace treaty expires...). :)

By the end of the game the only atlantic port for the US was Washington, and it was separated fom the rest of the US...

Carthaginian

I saw that game years ago... thought about buying it, but didn't.
Might have to get it now. Seems like I could find some diversion in it.

Korpen

Quote from: Carthaginian on July 03, 2007, 04:20:26 PM
I saw that game years ago... thought about buying it, but didn't.
Might have to get it now. Seems like I could find some diversion in it.
It is large, complex and quite overwhelming in the beginning (Although, Victoria: revolutions have made some big improvement in that area). But it is a game I love, I dare not think on how many hours I have burned on that game, I fear it is closer to 1000h then 100h...

It is also easily modded, and there are some really first rate add-ons mad by fans out there.
(And as everything is saved as txt-files it is possible to med the save games as well.

P3D

I dust off my Victoria CD regulary, and realize again and again there was some reason I didn't play it too often. There are great concepts, but a lot of things annoys me in the game engine that even destroys the realism of the economical simulation part. For example no need to produce food at all. Nevermind the abysmal naval combat system.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Korpen

Quote from: P³D on July 03, 2007, 05:11:14 PM
I dust off my Victoria CD regulary, and realize again and again there was some reason I didn't play it too often. There are great concepts, but a lot of things annoys me in the game engine that even destroys the realism of the economical simulation part. For example no need to produce food at all. Nevermind the abysmal naval combat system.
Well, the game (by need) uses some simplifications, one is that all provinces produce some basic commodities, food among them. Provinces the is producing "food" is were that is the main export commodity.

And in the later patches, and especially in revolutions, there is a lot more money to be made with an agricultural economy then it was in the first patches/versions of the game.

Revolutions also got away with quite a bit of the micromanagement in the economic model, but with a loss of control for the player, something I like.

As for the combat model, it serves it purposes, after all it is not a war game.

But as with most paradox games, the game has really developed after release with patches that change gameplay and other improvements.

P3D

I know, I've got the expansion, also tried VIP, and don't like it as much. I rather play HoI2 in multiplayer.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Korpen

Quote from: P³D on July 04, 2007, 02:22:55 AM
I know, I've got the expansion, also tried VIP, and don't like it as much. I rather play HoI2 in multiplayer.
Different games for different people I guess, as I did not like HOI(1,2 & DD) very much at all, i prefere the statbuilding in EU & Victoria to the war fighting in HOI.

P3D

I like nationbuilding, but as I said there are several other things that ruins the game. Like UK building 60+ BB fleets when everyone else in the world has less than 30 total. It might be an economical simulation, but unfortunately has very little in common with reality. Victoria is a poor realization of a great concept, like all Paradox games save perhaps EU/EUII/EUIII. That Paradox programmers are arrogant and surround them with sycophant betatesters results in expansion sets that are released untested and unplayable until the second patch arrives, does not helps their products either.

Korpen

Quote from: P³D on July 04, 2007, 03:10:26 AM
I like nationbuilding, but as I said there are several other things that ruins the game. Like UK building 60+ BB fleets when everyone else in the world has less than 30 total. It might be an economical simulation, but unfortunately has very little in common with reality. Victoria is a poor realization of a great concept, like all Paradox games save perhaps EU/EUII/EUIII. That Paradox programmers are arrogant and surround them with sycophant betatesters results in expansion sets that are released untested and unplayable until the second patch arrives, does not helps their products either.
Hm, I have never found them arrogant, different experience I guess.

I found EU3 quite interesting as it is quite a break with previous titles in game play (Mare regis Baltica!).

As for what the AI build, well apart from the UK few countries start cranking out ships until the last decades. And I think that the net effect of Victoria economic model is quite good, even if details are odd sometimes.