French battlecruiser???

Started by maddox, June 13, 2007, 02:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

QuoteThe Team that brought the World the Greater Napoleon does another grab to regain a place in the French ship building community.

This should tell all.

Tanthalas

"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Korpen

Quote from: Walter on December 02, 2007, 10:47:32 AM
QuoteAnyone w/ 13.5 or 14" would outrange her and start making Lorraine Swiss cheese out of the hull.
I was thinking about the same thing and with some good armor and staying at a respectable distance (about 12-15,000 yards), none of the 12 inch rounds will be able to get through the armor of the 13.5"/14" armed battleship while the "Agin, aheum" will have absolutely no immunity zone against the 13.5"/14" guns.
At 140hm and that kind of ranges, I think she will have immunity to uncapped 343-356mm shells, at least if she is at an angel to the other ship.

And i think the volatility of ships are exagerated, it is not like most penetrating hits will trigger an explosion.

But her main problem as i see it is that the belt is to shorth to accomendate all those turrets and guns.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Desertfox

Swiss Cheese, mmmm!

Remember that not all battles start at max main gun range, the French especially should know that, and all it takes is one shell...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Ithekro

Unless we are dealing with fire control equipped ships (or very old predreadnoughts that can't elevate their guns high enough) the 13.4 and 14" guns won't be able to outrange the 12" guns in a visual fight.  Now the armor on the ship with the larger guns may be able to withstand hits from the 12" guns better or more often then the 12" gunned ship (or the armored cruiser) they can still take damage to areas that are outside the belt.

P3D

I was thinking on this ship too. With TDS, the magazines takes up around half of the waterline belt. My suggestion would be to wait until you have the next engine tech, and build the ship then., as you are just too constrained with the turbine output. Also, this ship is screaming for a BC of 0.6, it should look like the Iowa, a hull with very long square cross-section and straight hull lines.  The only way to arrange secondaries is in hull casemates. The problem is that most probably the ship won't be able to be steady platform with acceptable stability.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Carthaginian

All I can think of is how the Gin Palace is always the first of my BB's to buy the farm in War Plan Orange. ;)* Anything with  8" of armor shouldn't be carrying that much high explosive, though the French have their own design priorities (the 'biggest and best' plan), and it's a very appropriate, historically correct plan.

Pretty ship- though I think she'll die in more 'blaze' than 'glory.'

*NOTE: this is not due to operator error- I use her for port security and she STILL dies.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.