Main Menu

1903 Rules Patch

Started by snip, April 22, 2015, 01:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

Things are getting close here. RL has still been a bit on the chaotic side of things. I am now the head coach for my swim club via last man standing. So as opposed to 3 nights a week, I now have 6. Free time has been a bit scarce.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: snip on May 20, 2015, 08:07:12 AM
Things are getting close here. RL has still been a bit on the chaotic side of things. I am now the head coach for my swim club via last man standing. So as opposed to 3 nights a week, I now have 6. Free time has been a bit scarce.

Okey-dokey.  Standing by.

Jefgte

QuoteThings are getting close here. RL has still been a bit on the chaotic side of things. I am now the head coach for my swim club via last man standing. So as opposed to 3 nights a week, I now have 6. Free time has been a bit scarce.

The important thing is to keep your head above water.

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

snip

Updated patch is here. Changes highlighted in red.

Quote1) Replacement of the Naval Gun rules with the following.

QuoteUnlike other weapons, the development of Naval Artillery and their mountings is more precisely defined. For constant terminology, Guns and Mountings will be defined as such.

--Gun: The minimum needed to have a fireable weapon (rifled tube, breach, etc). The gun has a set of characteristics such as bore, caliber, and muzzle velocity that are hard stats which can never be altered. The gun also has soft stats like RoF that can be improved over time. [Note: Still needs absolute definition of soft and hard stats
]
--Mount: The means by which the gun is secured to the ship, trained, protected and any means for transferring ammunition from the magazines to the gun. Mountings effect things like elevation, train speed, and RoF. Mountings are always paired with a specific gun and can be updated with changing technology. Mounts come in two categories, Deck Mounts and Turret & Barbette [Note: Additional mounting categories were being considered, but not finalized.]

The Naval Artillery technology allows for guns in accordance with the following table. The table diagrams the earliest level a gun of a given bore and caliber can be designed.
[table goes here, no need to copy it]

A nation may develop a gun if:
- They have the relevant gun technology (the row).
AND
- They already have a gun design not more than two spaces away (in non-diagonal movement) in the table above.

A note: This table account for the vast majority of historic naval artillery and allows it to enter service within a reasonable timeframe of its historic dates. In the event a historic gun that is outside of the rules of the table is desired, the moderators will review the case on an individual basis.

Development of New Guns and Mounts:
Development of a gun or mounting for a given caliber and bore may not always take place under the earliest tech that allows for the creation of a gun. When a gun or mount is developed after the nation has researched a later gun tech, the different between the levels (3-1 not 1900-1885) modifies the cost.

Developing a gun costs the following. It is payed out of the nation's research budget. [Total Cost] = [Base Cost] * [1 - Tech Level Difference / 20] where the base cost is $0.50 per turn for guns larger then 210mm and $0.25 per turn for up to 210mm. Development takes two years.

Developing a mounting costs the following. It is payed out of the nation's research budget. [Total Cost] = [Base Cost] * [1 - Tech Level Difference / 20] where the base cost is $0.25 per turn for guns larger then 210mm and $0.10 per turn for up to 210mm. Development takes one turn per barrel. One mounting is always free along with the development of the gun. Guns under 210mm also get a free single deck/casemate mounting.

Refreshing, Importing, and Modification of Guns and Mounts:

Guns and mountings can be refreshed to reflect the benefits of new gun technology. This only effects soft stats like RoF and elevation, not hard stats like muzzle energy. Refreshing is payed for like developing a new gun or mount, but the development time is halved. Costs stay the same. These rules are also used to cover costs associated with importing a gun design from another nation. They also handle any weapons that are bored out to increase shell diameter or fitted with thicker liners to increase caliber for a smaller shell, such as the historic 15" Mk1 or the 8"/120 Sub-Caliber Mk1. Boring out or relining will need to be approved by the moderators.

2) Foreign Standard
   When a ship is constructed by a nation is used by the navy of another, it is counted as foreign-built which has a 25% higher maintenance cost. This can be changed in two ways:
   a) Pay a 1 time +50% cost fee for the construction of the ship at the time the ship is under construction. This ship and any other examples of its class constructed by the same nation is considered as being built to domestic standards.

b) A Refurbishment level Refit of the ship "domestifies" the ship, removing the foreign-built maintenance penalty.

3) Canal Projects

Canals have the pay both for dirt and for the locks. The dirt cost is $0.25 per cubic meter / 10^6 of canal.

You must have 2 locks (a pair) per 9m (rounded up) of elevation change. Each lock is represented by a drydock with the capacity of ships that can pass through the lock being the same as the drydock limitation.

e.g. A canal that is 100km long, 30m wide, and 11m deep that goes through a path that is at tallest point 20m higher than sea level costs:

$33 in dirt and 6 locks (3 pairs). Presuming Type 3 drydocks at the lock, the locks cost in total $126 and 18 BP. The canal would cost $159 & 18 BP in total.

4) Colonies and Commonwealth
        For game purpaces, a colony is defined as territory owned by a country that does not possess a land connection to the capital of the country or does not possess an unbroken connection of territorial waters (defined as the modern day 12nm limit). An exemption to this exists for Canada and Australia as long as they are owned by the UK given the vast majority of the population is transplant homelanders. A Colony also is any territory taken over by a nation from another nation for a period of 25 years. An exemption exists for any territory that changed hands before 1903H1 that would not count as a colony under the above definition.

From Pop:IC = 0.25 to Pop:IC [Homeland] there is a chance that the colony may revolt. The revolt risk is modified by the speed at which the colony is industrializing and/or the lack of industrialization.

[Baseline Chance] + [Time Penalty] + [Growth Penalty]

[Baseline Chance] = 10% [Note: We talked about some changes here, but I cant seem to find if we finalized anything.]
   [Growth Penalty] = RoundUp(delta Pop:IC / 0.05) + [Last Turn's Growth Penalty]
   [Time Penalty] = Number of Half-years since colonization or last revolt.

The moderators will roll a 1d100. You must score higher than the revolt chance calculated above to avoid a revolt.

Once a colony hits the same Pop:IC ratio of the most developed region in the homeland, the colony is considered part of a commonwealth and the revolt chance becomes 0%.

5) Digestion Rules
   To discourage cheep excessive technology sharing and making the sale of goods more viable in short-term situations, the cost reduction for digestion of tech has been removed. Digested tech now costs the same as what normally researching the tech would cost, but only requires two turns (one year) to complete.

6) Population Relocation
   Players may move relocate population in their own lands as they please, however, each 1 unit of pop (1 million people) will cost two times the cost of building a new IC to move. This cost does not apply to moving up to 50% of the population growth on a given turn with mod approval. Additionally, storyline-based relocation is possible with mod approval..

This cost symbolizes both the direct and indirect costs to the economy as people and properties are shuffled around. The expected break-even point is 10 years after the relocation for a profitable relocation.

7) IC cost change
    IC costs will now be on a tiered system based on income. The base cost of IC will remain $10. Starting when a nation's net income reaches $50, the cost of IC will go up by $5 for every additional $25 in income.

8) Removal of the 50/50 rule for peacetime spending
    Nations may now proportion there income however they like during peacetime. New Wartime rules are below.

9) Wartime spending rules change.
    Wartime spending is now defined as follows: In Wartime, a nation (with mod approval) may move to a wartime footing. This has the effect of increasing the cash and BP per turn by 25% per turn with a cap of 50%. The bonus is meant to simulate things such as War Bond drives, civilian factories moving into miliary production, etc. This bonus lasts as long as the player would like or until the end of hostilities, whichever comes first. After the bonus is ended, both cash and BP suffer a 10% penalty for double the number of turns that the nation was on a wartime footing. The penalty is meant to represent shifting assets geared for war back to peacetime production.

Comments?
-Siegfried Sassoon

Tanthalas

I still don't think the Revolt thing in Colonial holdings is necessary... TBH Revolts have always been fluff, and should remain that way IMHO.  the increased IC costs will definitely slow down building for everyone.  I know you and Logi really like the forced revolt idea, but just because someone has an idea doesn't make it a good one.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

The Rock Doctor

I think the chance of revolt (and the rate of change of chance) is too high, but will roll with it. 

On to my 1/03 sim report, then.

snip

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on May 28, 2015, 01:22:05 PM
I think the chance of revolt (and the rate of change of chance) is too high, but will roll with it. 

As I mentioned in the note, we were doing some tinkering here but I dont recall and cant find anything concrete. If you have suggestions on what that chance should be, Im open to them.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

Well, I'm not precisely certain how to interpret the "growth penalty" equation.  My gut feeling is that we should be starting somewhere around 2% as a baseline, with no more than 1-3% of additional penalties.  If you figure that's 5%, that works out to a 100% chance over twenty turns, or ten years, which is actually pretty frequent.

snip

The growth penalty is ment to punish extremely rapid growth. Idea is that if you dump in tons of IC to fast, people get upset about there way of life getting ripped apart. I think now that we have the IC costs handled different then they were under the original proposal, we can look at the exact implementation of the equation.

Our idea was to have three main factors in revolt chance; a baseline, a growth penalty (to give a drawback to rapid growth), and a time penalty (to give drawback to sitting and doing nothing). If there are other suggestions, Im open to hearing them.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

I continue to dislike this part, esp as I plan on settling my area with Europeans, not natives. I'm still debating if I even want to continue the African efforts. I suppose I need to do that math stuff.

I would say the part of the current language that stands out is " same Pop:IC ratio of the most developed region"
My most developed regions are the ones I've shoved IC into to elevate their research ability. Many others have picked a primate city to focus research on.
I think it's really unreasonable to say that a colony has a chance of revolt if it's not developed as your capital or research center.
This, to me, is like saying Puerto Rico has an elevated chance of revolt until it's as rich as silicon valley. Which seems ...odd.
Granted in my case it's saying African Highlands have an elevated chance until they resemble Rome, Florence, Venice and Trieste.
Still I think it's reasonable to alter that to either the median Pop:IC of the homeland, or the least developed homeland.

Quote from: snip on May 28, 2015, 01:41:29 PM
Quote from: The Rock Doctor on May 28, 2015, 01:22:05 PM

As I mentioned in the note, we were doing some tinkering here but I dont recall and cant find anything concrete. If you have suggestions on what that chance should be, Im open to them.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

snip

What about changing "most developed region" to "average of homeland regions"?
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

I've said it before about canal cost and I will say it again... When I calculate the dirt cost of the canal, the only way for me to get to your $33 dirt removal cost is when I use $1.00 instead of the $0.25 you use. If I use $0.25, I get a dirt removal cost of $8.25 (0.25*100,000*30*11/10^6 = 8,250,000/1,000,000 = 8.25).
QuoteI still don't think the Revolt thing in Colonial holdings is necessary... TBH Revolts have always been fluff, and should remain that way IMHO.
I have to agree with that. There were other similar ideas before the start and I objected to that. I like to do this for fun and absolutely do not need any possible frustrations of having to deal with riots. If I want to use riots for the news I will script and deal with them myself.
QuoteI know you and Logi really like the forced revolt idea, but just because someone has an idea doesn't make it a good one.
My opinion is that if Snip and Logi like the idea of revolts so much then they are welcome to apply it to their territories but should not bother others with it who do not want it.

snip

Logi is going to have to answer the question on the canal costs, he came up with the numbers.

@Revolt risk: It stays. It will apply to all equally. I am open to discussion about how some of the specifics will work and things like frequency.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

One other question regarding the change in IC cost. Do the ICs started and not completed in H2/1902 keep the H2/1902 cost or do their cost change to the H1/1903 cost for completion? To me it feels like it is proper that the latter is applied and currently I have it edited as such in my H1/1903 report.
QuoteRevolt risk: It stays. It will apply to all equally. I am open to discussion about how some of the specifics will work and things like frequency.
I don't want to see it in the sim and I am not open for discussion regarding that. Also unlike what you say, it does not apply to all equally. If you want it to apply to all equally then there should be NO exceptions.

snip

@IC: I can go ether way on it. I am leaning in the direction of IC started in 1902/H2 can be completed for the cost when it started, but be assured that if that is what we do the mods will be looking closely to make sure it is not abused. (Disclaimer: As can be seen in the US 1902/H2 report, the US has one IC that requiers additional funds in 1903/H1 to complete)

If its the exemptions for Canada and Australia that are the decisive point here, then just say that. We have already had extensive talks about why those are the two places that are exempt and the majority seem to be in agreement that the exemptions are based on good concepts.

If not a revolt risk, then what do you want to see as the drawback for expanding territory? There must be some sort of drawback. Right now it has no drawback in the way that not expanding has. If you don't expand your population base, your ability to produce income on IC decreases. If you have any ideas on what the drawback for expanding should be, please say them.
-Siegfried Sassoon